Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's America the beautiful

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    First and foremost i'm an aussie. And i'm proud of it. but i know what is a knockout performance and i don't see too many at all that make me go wow.

but the other day i happened to download an old video clip of Jaco performing America the beautiful (i think that's what the song is called) and i was absolutely floored.

the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end at what i watched and listened to.

several things about jaco became immediately apparent to me:

1. his knowledge of harmonics - fundamentals or false harmonics - was just perfect. he was incorporating harmonics all over the fretboard... just amazing.

2. his hands are unbelievably long and have great dexterity. some of the moves he was pulling off are just crazy, his reach was so huge. i.e. he has great chops.

3. yes he was arrogant, but he had a hell of a stage presence.

Has anyone seen this clip?

Edit: upon further reflection, the most amazing thing about jaco is that although he seems to be playing random notes, he is actually following the chord progressions. this is way beyond me at the moment.

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i don't know, i downloaded it using bearshare.

3. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    I saw him play it live at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, on July 2nd 1983, it had the same effect on me .... my jaw dropped!!! Then, later that evening, Jaco and a few of his musicians (Don Alias & Delmar Brown), dropped by Ronnie Scott's where I was playing .... I was never, or have ever, been more nervous in my life than when I looked over to my right and see Jaco looking ... AT ME! I met him shortly after, great man!

Easy,
    RR

4. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Ha! Great story! Did he sit in?

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    what did he say mate? did he give you any comments on your playing?

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Dude! Don't ask him that. What if the man said "Have you ever considered accordion? Or bassoon?"

I wouldn't want to have to admit to that, either.

:D

I keed. I keed. :eyebrow:

Meeting Jaco. damn that's cool. I was hoping to track him down when the ship I was stationed on was sent to Port Everglades(Ft. Lauderdale, FL) where I knew Jaco to live.

We were in port for three days. I was excited...until I heard that he had passed away a month or two earlier. :scowl: