Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacos amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SebastianEsp, Oct 9, 2003.

1. SebastianEsp

SebastianEsp

May 30, 2003
    This has probably been asked before but can anyone tell me what bass amp jaco pastorius used?

Sebastian

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Acoustic 360

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Although in interviews he made a big point of saying that he went DI straight into the desk on all his studio recordings.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yup... Acoustic 360. Actually Bruce I have the BP article from when they reviewed the reissue of his solo album a few years back and I believe they said he combined direct with the miked 360.

5. Bruce Lindfield

1978 INTERVIEW

Q. Do you get that incredible singing bass sound on an ordinary guitar, or are there some special effects that you use?

I don't use anything special... I've actually got less on it! I have a fretless bass, so it's virtually like I'm playing a wood bass. In other words, the strings go into the wood on the neck and then--being that it's a bass guitar --it gets that bright, direct sound. So I'm the first guy to be using a fretless, is actually what it boils down to, and then more, because I'm the first to really get down and play it, because other guys cannot play it in tune, y'know? I've been playing the bass guitar for almost 12 years, and I've been playing fretless for about nine, so I've got quite a bit of mileage in my hands already. I play in tune like a cello player, and use legitimate vibrato. There are no tricks... it's just all in the hands! I just have a standard 1962--I think it is--Fender Jazz bass, that I took the frets out of.

Q What amplifier do you use with that?

In the studio I don't use an amp, I just go direct, right into the desk. It's virtually acoustic is what I'm doing, you see? And then on stage I use an old Acoustic 360--two of those amps, actually--and you get into all sorts of fun! It's a whole different thing on stage... (laughs) Are you comin' to the show tonight? (smiles) You should really come along, because it's some other stuff completely (laughs). This is some real fun!

Go here :

http://members.aol.com/tomstr/jacointerview.html

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    From what I can recall, live Jaco used two Acoustic 360's, one for a clean signal and the other he ran an MXR delay through, as well as a no-name stomp box someone (unknown) made for him that created the looping effect he used on his signature solo pieces.

He used two Acoustic speaker cabs, one with four fifteens :eek: , two loaded facing foward and two mounted inside the cab in a folded design, and one cab with a folded 18" speaker design, which was roughly the same size as the other cab.

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bruce: You are aware that Jaco was a notorious story teller right?

Im not saying its untrue but the BP article which I dont have with me I believe refers to the producers of his solo album and they said the combined direct with the miked 360. The gist of the article was to talk about what was going on in the studio when he recorded his solo album. Ive read a lot about how Jaco bent the truth or exaggerated things. Thats all. :cool: Two 360s. Thats a lot of amp.

Edit: Right there in that interview hes saying hes the first guy to use a fretless when everyone knows thats untrue. Bill Wyman? ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well - he's saying the he's the first guy to really play fretless - as in using his hands to get legitimate vibrato etc.

And having heard Bill Wyman - I agree with Jaco!! ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Anyway - he was talking in 1978 - whereas his solo album was completed well before then - he's probably talking about recording with Weather Report - where he does get a very clean sound.

10. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Indeed Bruce! :bassist:

11. The other guy that comes to mind who played fretless before Jaco did (at least record it on an album first) is Rick Danko.

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The guy from The Band! Thats right I totally forgot about him. Yeah Im pretty sure he played fretless before Jaco.

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    When did Jack Bruce go fretless?

14. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Why was he bragging about using "legitimate" vibrato? How else would you vibrate on a fretless instrument... haha

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Didn't Hartke make a big stink about how Jaco used their first 8x10, or something of that nature?

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bonnie Raitt's first bass player Freebo also played fretless pre Jaco. I've listened to Jaco's first album a million times, I think he just went direct:bassist:

17. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Me too but how could you tell that by listening to it? Ill check that mag tonight for some answers! :D

18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Also Boz Burrell was playing fretless in King Crimson, and all over the first Bad Company record.

19. SebastianEsp

SebastianEsp

May 30, 2003
    I have never seen a Acoustic 360 amp so I was wondering if there is any homepage I can find it on?

Sebastian

20. Bruce Lindfield

The point that Jaco is making, is that he is the first person to treat fretless bass guitar as a new instrument and to use and develop legitimate techniques that would allow it to sing like a Cello, for example - as can be heard on tracks like "A Remark you made" - rather than just playing a bass guitar with no frets, the same way you would play one with frets!!

So - he's not saying he's the first person to play fretless bass - but rather the first person to develop a new approach, unique to this instrument - and I don't think many people - especially not bassists who understand his contribution - would deny this!