Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacos bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slurm, May 16, 2005.

1. Slurm

Slurm

Jan 9, 2005
    does anyone know what fretless bass jaco was using in the modern electric bass dvd. it was that lovely lookin one.

2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Nerver saw the vid, but it had to be what has become his signiature bass...no pickguard, chipped and scraped up to all H#LL, etc...correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen pics or vids of Jaco playing anything but.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's like Abe Rivera or something.

4. Was this bass not nicknamed the "bass of doom" or was that not Jaco's bass. i was curious if anyone knows if he had like a collection of other basses at home or whatever.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The bass of doom was his beaten fretless jazz. He had plenty of jazzes.

6. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    im pretty sure this is the Abe Rivera
    [​IMG]

but i dont know what he played in the vid. because i've never seen it....i've seen pictures though.....isnt it just his beat up sunburst with a maple neck/board on it?

7. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    It was an Abe Rivera "Scroll Bass" that belonged(and still does!) to Jerry Jermott. Abe made about a half dozen of them, I believe(i COULD be wrong!).

The one in the video still exists, but you don't want to know what happened to it! :(

8. Actually, I do....

9. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    The Bass of DOOOM was being repaired at the time of the video. I forget if this was when he was redoing the fingerboard, or if this was after the infamous smashing in Tokyo.

10. I thought the bass of doom was Sheehans :bag:

11. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the bass of doom is in the video. it just has a fretted p bass neck on it. he says that he practices stuff on a p bass neck because it is bigger and when he switches to a jazz he plays faster. its all in the video...

12. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    he also has a fat jam session with john scofield which is wicked sick...

13. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    It had 24 steel teeth implanted into that gorgeous fingerboard :crying:

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    On J-basses, under the pickguards, aren't they hollow? I've seen Jaco without a pickguard and Timmy C. with no pickguard.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Throughout the 60's and 70's, Jazz basses were not hollow under the pickguard.

Sometime in the 80's, Fender started using a 'swimming pool' route on Jazz basses.

But some of the MIJ signature models do not have them, some of the MIJ vintage reissues do not, and I think that the current MIA Jazz basses do not have them.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Nope...

MM

17. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Wasn't that other fretless Jaco uses a Morch?

18. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Jaco did own a Morch 5-string curl. But I have never seen him play with it. The bass on the video is a Abe Riviera.

19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I saw a picture once of him playing an unlined Carvin fretless. I don't know the story behind it. I don't remember where I saw it, but it might have been in the biography, "Jaco" by Bill Milkowski.

20. "Sometime in the 80's, Fender started using a 'swimming pool' route on Jazz basses".

My jazz ( had it for 20 years) was a '78 and had a neck pickup route you could've driven a truck through, plus an 8 piece laminated body(yes thats right-8 pieces!!), an overly large neck pocket, (and a neck perpetually prone to misalignement as a result), dead spots all over the board and weighed half a ton (neck played beautifully though) I recently traded it for a MM SR4 and am now wondering why in the heck I kept it (the jazz) for so long because man o man,... does that stingray put up the funk!!