Jacos Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spearhead, Nov 12, 2002.

1. What happened to the two old Fender Jazz basses that jaco used to play? I know one was a 62' three color sunburst defretted and the other was a younger model with a p-bass neck and a maple fretboard. I remember hearing that Jaco actually broke the neck on his defretted one and that he ended up pawning off all his basses towards the end. What happened?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    AFAIK the J he played in the instructional video now belongs to Greg Rzab(?) who plays or used to play with Buddy Guy.
  3. the other is stolen, no one knows who has it
  4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I remember ages ago seeing a post about someone selling one of Jaco's basses on ebay. The auction was eventually taken down. I don't remember if it was ever deduced whether it was real or not.
  5. osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I heard he left one of his famous defretted fender jazz's sitting without a case in the middle of a park one day, and when he returned it was gone.

6. Well I HEARD he pitched it into the bay in Japan.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Jimmy Hoffa has the missing one. ;)

I wish I had it. :(
  8. its in my closet

ok not really but o well
  9. I believe I once saw that he also played a custom Abe Rivera bass.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Of the two most famous Jaco Jazz basses, the fretless "bass of doom" (a '62 that JP defretted or had defretted) and a '60 fretted, only the '60 is known to exist. It turned up on EBay a year or so ago (verified to be genuine by the Pastorius family) and disappeared before the auction ended. Note that Jaco replaced the stacked-knob control panel with the later 3 knob panel. It's easy to study this pic and any number of pics/videos of him playing it to authenticate it. Here's one of the pics that accompanied the auction:

Somebody has this bass, somewhere...
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Try Cruex. Then you won't have it anymore.
  12. I couldn't imagine holding onto that thing and not getting it back to his family. It'd be cool and all to say "I have Jaco's bass," but I'd feel pretty lame playing it, compared to its former master.
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    What about the natural one pictured on the back of the "Invitation" album?
  14. i keep it in a glass case and pray to it five times a day, later i sit under it and wait for enlightenment as i can only hope.....