jaco's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i asked this question a while back but didn't get much response. here i go again...

what if.... one day you wandered into a flea market and noticed some old couple who knew nothing about music, selling jaco's (or jamerson's) bass for $30.

ya couldn't sell it cuz it's stolen....
    ya couldn't play out with it cuz it's stolen...
    ya couldn't really keep it with clear conscience cuz it's stolen....
    ya couldn't talk about it here, cuz....

hmmmm. maybe this even happened to me :eek: .
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd buy it and donate it to the respective foundations (Pastorius or Jamerson families).
    This would finally get my karma out of the negative balance :D
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Flea Markets dont mean its stolen, where are you getting this from? Why do you say its stolen? It could be that fender remake of it.
  4. Both of Jaco and Jamersons basses were stolen. Jaco's "Bass O Doom" (The Fender Jazz that was Defretted and had the chips in the body) was stolen in central park when he was homeless, right before he died. Jamersons P-bass was stolen, but I forget how or why.

Edit: If I found either one, I would track down the family, and give it to them. Would be a big karma shift.
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    My moral compass would tell me to track down Jaco's bassist son Felix and give it to him. He's easily found at his gigs in Florida. He could play it on the job, or just hold onto it.

Either way, it would be with the estate.
  6. PFF dont listen to these moral fools! SELL IT ON THE BLACK MARKET :D

just kidding of course. how do you know its their bass and not just a remake of it...?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea thats what i would do.

And back to the question, yea if it was definitely his i would, but fender DOES make a copy of jacos bass, with all the scratches the same and stuff, but if you could tell it was his, then i would buy it and give it to Felix.
  8. You guys forget about the serial number on the bass. There was a Jaco write up in bass player not to long ago with his basses listed. They listed the serial number on the bass of doom.
  9. man..if I was to accidentally bump into the late great bass that Jaco had for a steal of a price, I'd buy it immediately..probably record some samples, take some pics, and find a way to get it to Ingrid Pastorius, cuz well, she's the mother of Felix and Julius, and from there, it'd probably end up in Felix's hands....

His biography really made me reanalyze my life,my ego, my sense of music..in all, moved me..and this would probably be the only way to honor someone like him since I am unrelated, nor one of the bass greats that is playing on his tribute CD.
  10. btw..the Relic Jaco bass, I don't think they take the time to emulate the chips in the fretboard from when he took the frets out of 'em...
  11. I'd refret it, maybe rout it for a couple of humbuckers á la Roscoe Beck, put some stickers on it and play it in my covers band:p

nah, I'd return it to the estate.

yeah, the fingerboard on the Fender relic isn't gouged up like the real thing.
  12. Mock Turtle......you scared the crap outta me for a split second.......I figured someone sooner or later would break the chain of respect we have towards the late great Jaco...thanks for not breaking it!
  13. why was jaco homeless and howd he die?

14. Well, he wasn't homeless, but he was sleeping in central park IIRC. And he died by being beat up by a bouncer. He went into a coma and never came out of it. Do a search on his death in bassists. There have been numerous threads about it.
  15. basically, Jaco lost his will to live and just floated along for the last period of his life playing bass impusively and getting into fights he'd lose...he had burned almost all his bridges, so really no one was there for him...
    he was beat into a severe coma by a bouncer..if he was to come out of it, he would've been blind in one eye, and one of his arms would be rendered useless...He was declared brain dead 9 days into the coma, and when he was taken off life support, his father cradled him until his heart stopped beating( like 4 hours later)

it was truly tragic to lose someone as gifted as him, but all in all, it was really his ego that destroyed him :meh:

read his biography..it is beautiful!
  16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It was his mental illness that destroyed his ego, not his ego.
  17. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Read this

Jaco Book

It's a great book, and very well written.
  18. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I would promptly **** myself, keep it(the bass) for a week or so(long enough for me to get pictures of myself playing Jaco's bass) then return it to the family, post the pictures on here and HCBF and laugh at everyone for not owning Jaco's bass. that's just me though:D
  19. Buy it even if it isn't the bass. Then make sure it is/isn't and return it to the family some how. If you don't get in heaven for something like that I don't know what will.
  20. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

My plan... I would at first think I just stumbled across one of the RI reliced sig models. Then, invariably, I would check the serial number. Then, I would probably crap my pants, and speak nothing but incoherant jibberish for a few days. Then when I came to my senses, I would take it home, take about 10,000 pictures of me playing it, pretending to be able to do justice to the bass. After that, I would travel the country, visiting every TBer in the major cities or along the roads I take, and charge them maybe $50 to play it for an hour. Then, after I toured the country with it, I would give all the money I made (well.. maybe 80% of the money;)j/k of course ) to the Pastorius estate, and the bass to his son.