Jaco's Curtain Call

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rude boy, Jun 5, 2002.

1. rude boy

rude boy

Feb 11, 2000
    Pittsburgh area
    I've been looking for "Curtain Call" by Jaco Pastorius for a very long time, and cannot get my hands on a copy. I was wondering if anyone could either:

a. tell me where I can buy a copy

b. make me a cdr copy and send it to me (I'd pay for shipping, the blank disc, even some for your trouble)

I know I'm pathetic, but I really want to be able to hear "John and Mary" live!!!!

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Curtain Call has some nice playing on it! That album was just Jaco doing a pickup gig in one of his last sober periods in '86! That album and the "Standards
    Zone" albums where way better than the N.Y. boots that are out there IMHO.
  3. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    p.s....send me a e-mail.....I might know somebody;)
  4. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not familiar with this title. More info please. Thanks
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Standards Zone is Jaco, Brian Melvin(cans), & Jon Davis(piano)...a Jazz piano trio.
    The album is full of Standards("Days Of Wine & Roses") & such.
    I'm not too keen on Jaco's tone on this recording...maybe that's me, though.

Other albums with Jaco/Brian Melvin are Nightfood & Jazz Street.
    The former has a kickin' version of Jaco's "Dania".
  7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I thought Jaco played great on Standards Zone! It was one of Jaco's last lucid periods....same thing with Curtain Call....same cats on that one too! IMHO Jaco's playing on those two disc's is way better than the N.Y.C. boots!
  8. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Track list:

1. Speak Like a Child/Invitation
    2. Donna Lee
    3. Solo medley: Blackbird/Okonkole y Trompa/Continuum/Portrait of Tracy
    4. John and Mary
    5. Mercy Mercy Mercy
    6. So What/Teen Town

It was recorded in a club in San Francisco I believe... sometime in early 1986. The quality is good, much, much better than the "Live in New York" series. Jaco was sober at the time, so his playing was also much better than the Live in New York stuff.

I really like the version of Speak Like a Child from this CD... and John and Mary is very cool as well. They play "Mercy Mercy Mercy" in B... wussies... just because they wanted those open strings... :D So What/Teen Town is pretty cool too, as you might have guessed, So What is of the "smokin' fast" tempo variety.

I would highly suggest picking up this disc if you are a Jaco fan.