Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's fast finger muteing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Samelot, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    I here that jaco had a fast finger muting teqnique. How does that work? does he mute very often, or does he do it between everyother note.?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think he mutes with his fretting hand. I do this too, but it is important if you mute, that you dampen the strings enough so harmonics don't ring through. This can easily happen on the 5th and 7th fret (and others ;) ). My teacher combines this with muting with his plucking hand. He uses his index and middlefinger to pluck, and his ringfinger to mute.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Jaco would also mute by lying his right pinky finger across the strings while he was plucking with his index and middle fingers. I've never quite figured out how to make that work for me.
    But... I'm not him. :meh:

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Everybody seems to have their own muting technique (well, own style). Whatever floats your boat I guess.

5. You can also mute using your fretting hand. After a note has been plucked quickly raise your fretting finger just enough to lift the string off of the fret while still maintaining finger contact with the string.

This can also be used in conjunction with plucking hand muting to get a very percussive result.

6. he mutes with both hands...i do something rather simular....i plcuk with my first and seccond fingers, resting my thumb on the B, unless i wanna play the B then i move my thumb to the pickup, and when im playing the A string i have my 3rd finger on the E to mute it, then if im playing the G and/or D strings i move my pinky up to the E and rest my 3rd finger on the A...while muting with my right hand....

also check out gary willis's muting technique

theres nothing worse than letting notes ring out when they shouldnt

7. I have to update my description of fret hand muting. I use frett hand muting without any conscience thought, it's just habit, however I just now took the time to Closely Analyze my technique.

With more attention to detail, I discovered (to my surprise)that I actually pluck the note, then release pressure on the string , until the fretting finger is slightly OFF the string and then the fretting finger quickly re-applies slight pressure to the string (without fretting) thereby suppressing any generation of harmonics.

There are probably numerous methods to achieve muting but this is what I use, and I hope this may help.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I generally mute strings that are physically BELOW the one I'm playing with 'precision slop' from my fretting hand, and use a 'floating thumb' to mute strings that are physically ABOVE the one I'm playing.

I use much gain, compression, and often overdrive - so I have to be very careful with muting!

Joe

9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    rocco prestia of tower of power does a lot of left hand muting. he mutes with the ring and pinky most of the time and uses the other two to play. the lack of available fingers doesnt seem to limit his playing- so- maybe check out some of his stuff too.

10. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
    in the modern bass video jaco said that he PRACTICE a lot to get rid of the noises!

use thumb to mute the E string, ring finger for the D, and pinky for G

he also mute the note using his left hand before moving to the next note

11. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Is that technigue used in making ghost notes?

12. the best way to produce ghost notes IMO is to damp the string(s) with your left hand and then play with your right, because you can use say your pinky on your right hand to create a node to play artificial/pinch harmonics (i cant remember the right term right now)