Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jaco's harmonics

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by basslax, Oct 12, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    does anyone have any idea how to play jaco's harminoc version of amazing grace? if so, could you tell me, i have trouble finding harmonics in general much less figuring out a song with them.

thanks

2. I have no idea about Jaco´s amazing grace... never heard him play it...

but there´s a harmonic version of amazing grace on aic.se/basslob

:) hope this helps...

3. He must mean Victor Wootens' solo from the "Live Art" Flecktones CD.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    maybe it was vic, but i know jaco does a version

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What CD is it on then? I've never seen/heard it mentioned and it would be interesting to hear it.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The double-CD "Live Art" has a live version of "Amazing Grace," complete with audience accompaniment. "Amazing Grace" is also included on the Wooten Bass Day video.

7. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    you asked how to play it right? wel here it is:

first if you are playing along with him u need to capo the 1st fret(or tune everything up 1/2 step), if not then just play it like i tabbed. BTW all notes are harmonics.

3.2=play a little past the third fret, towards the fourth not the second

G------5----4-----5--4--------5------------
    D---5---------3.2--------3.2----------5----
    A---------------------------------3.2------
    E------------------------------------------

G------5----4-----5--4--4--3.2--3.2--------
    D---5---------3.2--------------------------
    A------------------------------------------

G---4--3.2--3.2---4-----5--4---------5-----------
    D-------------------3.2---------3.2----------5---
    A---------------------------------------3.2------
    E------------------------------------------------

G------5----4-----5--4--------5------------
    D---5---------3.2--------3.2---------------
    A------------------------------------------

there all tabbed for ya.

iggy

8. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    that was jacos version.

9. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    But where can we hear Jaco's version??

10. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    download it off of napster, i dont know what it is off of.

iggy

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >He must mean Victor Wootens' solo from the "Live Art" Flecktones CD.

Jaco did it too.

12. Wootens Amazing Grace appeared in Bass Player magazine I think. But I can't remember what issue.

13. Bruce Lindfield

But how do you know that? I've never seen it mentioned on the listings for any Jaco CDs - isn't it more likely that some "dumb kid" has mixed up the listings on Napster or wherever?

14. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    look i have the jaco version, and the wooten version is much different, its a long solo the jaco version is only like a minute long. get both of them and ull see. if u are familiar with jacos stuff when u listen to it u will know it is him.

iggy

15. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    to get the harmonics on it right, its best to use a fretless, then when you have to play the harmonic itself lightly press about 90 percent towards the note itself and if you listen you'll find it, and it'll sound right, the tab above was correct, or at least as far as i can tell, i only looked at it for a second, and for anyone who hasn't heard this, its amazing, and jaco definitly did it first, the other versions are kind of a homage to his version, or at least thats what i gather from them.

16. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    dont worry its correct. yeah i didnt specify fretlees or fretted, but anyone who knows jaco knows he uses a fretless and fretless harmonics show better.

iggy

17. That version is from the basslobster site, and it is played by Mats Hagervik, a swedish bassist, not Jaco. Here's the link, if you want to check it out. http://www.aic.se/basslob/
    It's Lesson #9 in the lessons section.

[Edited by reedo35 on 10-26-2000 at 11:48 PM]

18. Bruce Lindfield

I'm glad we cleared that up - I was pretty sure Jaco hadn't done this. I worry for the next generation who only get music off Napster or similar and won't appreciate it, in the way previous generations have - I can remember each album and CD I bought very clearly and they all mean something to me. Whereas I's sure if I just downloaded stuff indescriminately it wouldn't be the same. Napster is Evil.....in may ways! ;)

Or is it just "Old Geezer Syndrome" setting in?

19. :confused:

20. Bruce Lindfield

I am pretty sure that whether the bass is fretted or fretless is actually irrelevant to the question of natural harmonics, as you are not actually fretting the note and the string doesn't touch the board or the frets.

What does make a difference is using the bridge (single coil) pickup and having bright roundwound strings - this is a much part of the Jaco "sound" as the fact that he played fretless.

The guy who played the lesson mentions this on the site, but makes no mention of using a fretless bass - after all Victor Wooten mostly uses fretted basses and on his instructional video (as Paul mentions) Jaco uses a fretted bass and still gets the same sound on harmonics.