Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's "Holiday For Pans" album

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jul 23, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Has anyone ever heard the "Holiday For Pans" album by Jaco?? Or do they know how to get a copy of it?? I'm dying to hear what it sounds like but you can't get it anywhere because of the suit or whatever that the Pastorius' have out...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's been available sporadically as a very expensive Japanese import. I've heard it and it sounds pretty good although obviously it's not really a finished album (the final track "Birth of Island" even has studio chatter, like it's a recorded rehearsal).

I'd put it a cut above some of the live bootleg releases but it's still very much non-essential.

The controversy is mainly over how much the released CD resembles what Jaco actually recorded. The tapes apparently were held by an engineer who worked on the project but was never paid, so he auctioned them off. It's unclear how much overdubbing and post production was done (including claims some of the bass is NOT Jaco) to get it fit for release.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I got it; IMO, consider passing on it UNLESS you find it dirt cheap.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you can the single cd version for about 20 bucks or so i think. i think its worth it. it has some good songs on it, but none of the bass parts are played by jaco. if you can look past that, its pretty good. the 3 cd set isnt worth the money at all. however there are some spots where he is actually playing bass, like when he starts walking through giant steps. overall though, its not worth the 80 bucks i paid new.

5. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I would love to get a copy, but considering the reviews.... I wouldn't want to shell out the $40.00 Amazon has it for. Does anyone know of a Emusic type legit site where it can be down loaded?