Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's Influence

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Well according to Hartke, Jaco was the inspiration for their cabinets ... and well .... that, for me is a reason to buy them. Why, because Jaco was also the inspiration for the recording of my CD, Big Droppins - and I think everyone should buy it as well.

So what of Jaco's influence and what commercial value does it have for you. I wonder if my daughter would go for the Huggies, Jaco Pastorius pull-ups?

Mike

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mike-
    ...good one.
    I vaguely recall Jaco holding a Guild Pilot bass in some '80s-era Guitar Player mags...so now it's Hartke cabs, huh?

Personally, I have been diggin' Jaco for awhile(mid '70s); regardless, I still stuck to my guns & my P-bass until I finally added a Jazz bridge pickup around '84. I figure I woulda bought an old Jazz & defretted it if I were that influenced by 'the Jaco inspiration'.
    So, for me, the commercial value is whatever 'new' Jaco music gets unearthed...I have sources that say Sony is sitting on some more killer LIVE Weather Report stuff. That I will buy...the gear "influenced" by Jaco?
    Nah.
    ;)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The best lesson "I" learned from Jaco is that the gear is pretty much irrelevant. He taught us you don't really "need" frets. You don't really "need" a modern, high-end bass, or a bass that doesn't have chunks missing from it for that matter. You don't really "need" a great amp or great cabs.

What you need - I've learned from Jaco - are great hands and a heart filled with musicality and creativity.

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Well I kind of had the reverse thing happen to me. I bought a Hartke cab a couple years after I started playing and stumbled on the fact that Jaco (I had never heard of him) had used a Hartke cab at one point... that's when I learned about him and realized i needed to work really hard to get good.

I know I've seen a picture of that original Hartke 810 cab, but I can't find it anywhere.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What I learned from Jaco (only the biggest lesson, since there are so many others..)

BE FEARLESS! Play your S*** and play your heart out on it. Lay it down without fear, without wondering what someone else is going to think of it. Leave everything you've got on the stage.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The influence and scope of Jaco's contribution to the bass world is immeasurable. Iwas being a bit more tounge and cheek in mentioning the Hartke connection and for theat matter the guild connection and everyone else who wants to CAPITALIZE on his legacy.

Mike

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Mike, did Jaco really use a Hartke cab? :):):)

Back in the day, when I was learning to play (my very first bass was a Dan Armstrong short scale fretless, the kind with the Lucite body), I used to try copying Jaco's lines note for note. He was definitely a huge inspiration. Not only with his playing, but also with his sounds.

I did, at one point, go out and buy an Acoustic 301 cab, but after using it for a while, decided that it didn't really have the high end I wanted. But man that thing could push some air!

Among the many things that amazes me about Jaco, is that he was quite a talented keyboard player as well. I heard a little organ ditty that he did on a B3, that completely blew me away. I'm not sure it was even a "composition", I think he was just goofing around.

Yeah, it's too bad people try to capitalize on his talent and his legacy. But, that's opportunism, and it's kind of the American way. It would be hard to make the case that it's "unethical", but at the same time it would be easy to say that if that's the best advertising they can come up with, then their product's probably not all that great.

Nice thought about the huggies though! :)

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Perhaps we can come up with a list of things that Jaco might have used during his life - give all those Madison Ave ad execs a reason to smile :p