Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JACO's Last recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 27, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Have any of you heard these recordings? They are HOT!!!!!!!

See pictures.

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Another albumn.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey! It features our own Jo(h)n Davis.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More of a "Recordings" topic, I believe.

Moved.

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    dude, i've been looking for that brian melvin album forever...
    discontinued, right?
    where can i get a copy?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought the "accepted wisdom" was that the late Jaco stuff was generally poor quality and that the man himself was deteriorating to the point where basically he couldn't play anything?

So Tom Stroud has had one of the longest running and most informative Jaco sites and he says :

"BEWARE OF POSTHUMOUS RELEASES of 1984, 1985, 1986 RECORDINGS!

In general, just about anything you find recorded 1982 or earlier is going to please you and show you what Jaco's creativity and innovation was all about."- Tom Stroud "

There is also an official "family" site and they don't seem to mention these recordings among the official releases?

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    That Brian Melvin album, 'Nightfood', is mentioned in the Milkowski book. Jaco also toured Europe to support that album. Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that it was Melvin who booked out of Bellevue psychiatric hospital.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    >the late Jaco stuff was generally poor quality

I agree. I owned both Nightfood and Standards Zone. They do not even come close to the earlier material. SZ was a bit better than NF, but both get a C- from me.

9. Bruce Lindfield

I just re-read that part and it was Melvin and his mother who got Jaco released after extensive questioning by the psychiatrists - sounds like it might not have been a good thing - Milkowski says Jacos' girlfriend came and they fought all the time and the Police had to be involved. Melvin relates hwo Jaco told him about great depression away from her, but as she was a junkie, it wasn't good for Jaco in any way.

Basically a very sad period in his life - he went on tour to Europe with Birelli Lagrene, not Melvin, who stayed in San Francisco. I think anybody would be better off getting the re-releases of the WR albums with Jaco if they don't have them already.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I looked through all of my records, and I do still have Nightfood. I listened to it again (1st time in 5 years) and it still doesn't come close to Weather Report. Not that the playing is bad, they are all light years ahead of me. It's still Jaco, and he does some groovy stuff, but his tone sounds muffled. No high end. Bob Weir fits in like a deadhead at a jazz clinic. He really doofs it up. You haven't lived until you've heard Weir sing Mercy Mercy. He also does backups to Sexual Healing. Help! I like the guitar work, it's fusiony without going to far into the "contemporary" style that was on the rise in '88.

11. Jaco's 2 recordings with Brian Melvin "Standards Zone" and "Curtain Call" are both quite nice and we get to hear Jaco in a piano trio setting. While Jaco is not at his peak he is still a seriously dangerous bass player and there are some nice moments. Jon Davis and Brian Melvin work well with Jaco and treat a number of Jaco's compositions well on the live recording. Nightfood really shouldn't be considered as those recordings were all 'work tapes' and weren't meant for release.Sure it's not classic WR or a Jaco solo outing, but then what ever will be again? Me, I am thankful to have access to those recordings.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a couple live albums from when Jaco went on tour in Europe with Birelli Lagrene. The sound quality isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's good either. Jaco's playing is still Jaco, but not quite the same Jaco as the earlier Jaco. Jaco Jaco Jaco;)

13. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    which live albums are those? i'm a huge fan of bireli lagrene. one of my favorite guitar players~

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I can count at least 4 Jaco/Lagrene albums(all boots?)-

Live In Italy
    Stuggart Aria
    Heavy 'N' Jazz
    Broadway Blues & Teresa

All, IMO, are non-essential(for completists only).

If you can find it, I'd opt for the LIVE Jaco w/ Albert Mangelsdorff & Alphonse Mouzon...the single disc is called Trilogue; there's a 3-cd set(about $25-$30) out there, under Mangelsdorff's name, that's worth the cake.
    (www.dustygrooves.com stocks it...sometimes).

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have "Live in Italy" and "Best Improvisation". The second one seems like a best of album from the european tour. FWIW, they are on the "flavour of sound" label and I picked them up in Japan.

16. I bought the "Heavy n' jazz" album, and it's definitely below-par - the recording/ mixing is pretty bad too.
    the version of "Teen town" is poor, and Jaco's solo spot doesn't really get going either.
    I listened to it twice and later sold it.

17. Bruce Lindfield

I mean - what do you expect if somebody is dragged from a mental hospital where they are suffering with clinical depression and then goes on tour?

I mean - great that Jaco was back into playing but I wouldn't have expected much from it or have kept it for posterity!

The fact that anything worthwhile at all came from this says a lot for Jaco; but I think as a rule it's best to stick with the material pre-82 as Tom Stroud advises.

18. I bought the "Heavy n' jazz" album only as it was going for £6 in my local CD shop, not knowing what period in Jaco's career it had come from.

I'm no Jaco devotee, but comparing "heavy n' jazz" with the other JP albums I have , WR's Heavy Weather and his debut solo album, plus the definitive version of the Slang solo, and learning of the problems he was having at the time almost made that album depressing to listen to, which was why I sold it.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've heard a number of the late recordings (a buddy has most of them) and had no inclination to buy any of them.

I did actually burn a copy of one, the "Holiday for Pans" bootleg which is the best of the bunch but is obviously an unfinished work. The others I wasn't even willing to waste a 25 cent CD-R on.

When you figure in the outrageous prices these things go for, it's completely insane.