Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's Portrait of Tracy (a vid of me playing it)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lokire, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Hey everyone. There was a request over at Metboard.com (metallica message boards with a large community of musicians) that I learn the Charlie Brown theme song as played by Stu Hamm (a two hannded tapping thing, playing both the bass and melody parts together). So I worked on that for a few days and here's where I am so far. Not great but it's a start.

Also, as someone else requested, is a vid of me playing Jaco's "Portrait of Tracy". Showing off Jaco's mastery of harmonics on the bass. This is what I remember of it anyways, with a little of my own harmonic improv in the intro.

I figured that I would post this over here at talkbass as well since I'm sure you would enjoy seeing some Jaco :bassist:

Let me know what you think and enjoy

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=414439&T=4536

2. Nice work on the Charlie Brown theme bro. I've never been a fan of the Jaco stuff...it's just me. But it looks/sounds like a good job on it.

3. nice videos, i've been looking through them all, i was wondering one thing, in your video with wooten and jaco solos, what are the solos your playing?

4. Thanks guys, glad you like them

For the various solo's vid the order is like this:

"Used to be a Cha-cha" by Jaco Pastorious
    "Bouree" by Bach (arranged by Jethro Tull)
    "A Show of Hands" by Victor Wooten

With a bit of my own improv inbetween each one and at the beginning and end

:bassist:

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    How old are you and how long have you been playing? Nice work ! :)

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And BTW, could Anyone here fix me decent sheet music of Portrait of Tracy?? I only have the sheet of the Pickford site, and I get bogus of it...

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That little jaco harmonic thing is done a tad wrong :p.. I could help you out on it. (Not PoT, the little quick thing that he always did). Also on the the thing with Bach, turn your trebble down a bit :-\. Other than those things, great job!

8. Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm 17 and I've been playing for almost 6 years now.

And I wouldn't call the Jaco thing wrong.....it's just different from the original and I know that. It's my own rendition of it. I figured it out by ear so I can't help with finding any tabs for it.

If I remember correctly, I had used a bit more midrange and recorded the bach vid direct (without my Sadowsky pre-amp - battery ran out :meh: ). So it was a bit of a different sound. I usually do play with the treble up quite a ways though

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, then it's not the jaco thing is it :p? It's your thing. But, your tone was nice even without the preamp. Good jorb!

10. Well, I guess you could call it, my rendition of a song written by Jaco. Either way, whatever :p

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Either way, you get a thumbs up, brotha' (fo shizzle)!