Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's Reza...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zeo, Jul 31, 2001.

1. zeo

zeo

Jul 31, 2001
    Can anyone help me figure out reza before i pull my hair out....
    it goes so fast its hard to distinguish the half step/whole step & does it vary in its repitition ? Any help would be appreciated.
    At this point my attension span can be measured in seconds againt a song ten minutes long.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say that this would be the first thing to address and it will help in all your playing - not just this piece. Transcribing does require that you put the time in and the more you do, the easier it gets....gradually! Quick fixes will not help this process.

But you do require concentration and the longer your attention span is, the more you can work on things like this. I would say that if you are interested in playing stuff like Jaco's music, then a high level of concentration is required and this includes being able to keep your attention on one thing for more than a few seconds.

3. I have bought a transcribing tool which allows you to slow down a recording while maintaining the correct pitch. I don't have a recording of "Reza" but I used my transcribing tool to figure out "Dania". I had the same problem of distinguishing between whole and half steps.

I used to always attempt to transcribe a lot of things directly off CD's, but there were always certain things that I couldn't get when it came to difficult melodies and solos. Slowing things down allowed me to really see how different players will use chromatic phrases and how they would go outside and back in, often using chromatic notes to lead in.

The transcriber is a very useful tool. It's still hard work to transcribe something, but at least it makes it possible to "hear" things that my current level of ear development doesn't allow me to do. And actually, by being able to see how these difficult chromatic phrases were put together, my ear has actually gotten a lot better.

The tool I'm talking about is made by a company called Reed Kotler. You should be able to find it on the net. There are also lots of programs available for the computer and they are cheaper than the actual unit. Again, like I said it's still hard work to transcribe things even with this tool, but if there are things that you are dying to play but can't figure out, you should get one of them.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Almost any audio recording program can do timestretching, e.g. CoolEdit, Goldwave, Wavelab, Soundforge, Acid, etc.
    The best program is Prosoniq's TimeFactory, but it's very expensive.

There are numerous dedicared shareware tools, like Musician's CDPlayer, that work quite well.
    You can slow music down to half speed or even lower, while maintaining the song's pitch.

http://www.sharewaremusicmachine.com is a good portal for music software.