Jaco's rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Antonio, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    Anyone have any insight as to what Jacco's rig was. I'm talking pickups, strings, amp, cabs. I heard he was using Hartke's aluminum cones at one point but cant confirm. Just curious :)
  2. For sure he used Acoustic and later Trace Elliott gear.
    Don't know if he used Hartke. Jack Bruce is currently endorsing them :meh:
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stock pickups (aka original Fender)
    Rotosound (Swing Bass?) strings
    Acoustic 360 amp and cabs

He posed for (then) Guild/Hartke on at least one NAMM show photo, but I'm not sure he really used them.
    I don't think he used Trace-Elliott.
  4. It is my understanding that Hartke made their first bass cab with aluminum drivers for Jaco. He asked them to do it and that's how it all started for them.
  5. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Who are you talking about? Jaco or Rocco??:smug:
  6. Am I talking about the wrong guy? :eyebrow:
    I'm stupid and old! :bawl:
  7. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hey you're lucky you're old..........I'm just stupid:eek:
  8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Actually, that is sorta true. Hartke did not design their cones after being asked by Jaco to do so, but rather Larry Hartke had the design and manufacture already together, but needed to secure some sort of "star" endorsement to get the whole thing going. Late in Jaco's life/career he was asked to endorse these cabs.....which, of course, he did. Yes he did play thru them at the few less-than-stellar gigs he did around NYC late in his life (when things were real bad). There are even some pics of him playing a Steinberger thru Hartke cabs. But, they were not a part of his "signature" sound.

In fact, the rig he used really had little or no bearing on the "Jaco Sound", as he said himself...the sound is in his hands. A lot of players have tried to cop the tone of Jaco with Acoustic amps, J basses...etc etc....it doesn't work. His hands, his vision, his life experiences made up that tone. You can never really cop it thru gear. Better to find your own sound based upon the same criteria mentioned above.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yeah, at least MuzikMan has an excuse :D.
  10. Max, I couldn't agree with you more. One's sound really depends on the thumb/finger postion, depth, vibrato, etc.
    A bass can sound very different when various bassists play it who use different approaches/techniques.

11. I'll second that. I've switched gear tons of times and I still sound like me no matter what.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More Amp related than bass related. Moved.
  13. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    just a head's up. I've used both "original fender" reissue pickups, and the Custom Shop reissues. From my experience, the "original fender" reissue pickups are very similar in sound to the stock pickups for new american fender basses. I noticed stong improvment in clearity and tone with the Custom Shop's.

I don't know if you were talking about reissue pickups. All I'm suggesting is that the only fender pickups to spec of vintage equipment are the Custom Shop made pickups.
  14. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    100%. This was Jaco's main live setup. His Jazz was usually recorded direct into the board.

+1 also on "the sound was in his hands". This also applies to other players (Bruce, Entwistle, Squire, etc.) who have unique sounds. It's very difficult to mimic another player's tone, even if you're using the exact same gear.

P.S. Mesa-Boogie also ran an ad in the early to mid 80's that stated Jaco was using their all-tube( I don't remember the model number, 400?)head on tour. The ad said something to the effect of :"Jaco carries this head with him, as part of his carry-on baggage". But this too was towards the end of his career.

I know I wouldn't want to be seated under that overhead compartment if the Mesa ever slid out of it :eek: !
  16. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
  17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I am %99 percent sure that Jaco Never used a Hartke.

It's a stupid marketing ploy by Hartke to sell their extremely low quality BS. Note that the add on the back of BP says

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not wanting to get in the way of a good rant but...
    a little perspective might help.

The original Guild/Hartke speakers were far from crap or low quality. Lots of pros/working bassists used them and got excellent sound from them. Last I saw Will Lee was still using Hartke cabs. Don't confuse the pro line gear (we are talking late 1980's after all, not now) they made with something else you're more familiar with. Back in the day the Hartke cabs with an AMP amp made for one heckuva rig. Still does for that matter.

The only reason I got rid of my 410/115 setup was because of the weight.

Also, why are you so sure that in the late 1980's Jaco never used Hartke? Why are you so sure there was no inspiration?
  19. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    I think you're right when you say they did make some good stuff. And I've heard good things about those aluminum drivers. I just think it's a pre-tense that many people have against Hartke. It's a little hard to picture a respectible pro using their stuff, but that's because most of us havn't seen anything but their crap line stuff. Honestly, I've never seen any of their equipment that didn't look absolutely generic and gimmic-ey. As well, I've never seen anyone use them who I find remotely respectable. Obviously my views are to limited to hold a fair opinion about Hartke.

I'm not trying to dive on the people that do use them. For all I know, half of TB uses hartke and are a happy bunch. I just think a lot people have similar views towards Hartke as myself. I'm no Jaco nut. And I've never tried anything of Hartke's to try to change my current mind set towards them. But with a name as generic as "Hartke", I probably don't care either. :p If you're happy with your's, I'm glad for ya. Perhaps someday I'll come across some upper end Hartke gear and like it. Just don't take any bets.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This may come off the wrong way but I'll toss it out anyway. In any event I mean no offense...

People tend to have a problem with time and context.

It would help tremendously if some of you would bear in mind that Jaco died in 1987. That the period of time I'm referencing Hartke was in the mid to late 1980's.

1980's. In other words... not now;). This was well before most of the equipment and configurations some of you are familiar with existed. This was long before the lower end stuff appeared. And yes, lots of pros spent their own money and used it and got excellent results. Ask yourselves, what were you using in 1985 that was that much better than Guild/Hartke?

I guess you missed this: "The only reason I got rid of my 410/115 setup was because of the weight".

That was over ten years ago. What were you using ten years ago?

I've moved onto lighter gear that gives me exactly what I want but guess what... I have zero doubt that I couldn't still gig with the same Hartke stuff I had way back then. That's because I know it's more about me than being stuck with a mindset.

BTW if you think "Hartke" is a generic name...

And seriously, there's nothing wrong with keeping an open mind. Bet on it.