Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, May 21, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I've heard somewhere that he has the potential of becoming as good a player as his father. Any truth in that? Where can I hear him play (except for the shows he does across the ocean)? How old is that guy anyway? 18?
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I think Felix is playing it smart! I've heard nothing but incredible things about him! he has been playing with Jeff Coffin, the sax player from the Flectones. You know Jeff is used to standing next to a monster player! But we all know how much scutiny that Felix is going to go through when he finally comes out with a major C.D.......I know it's going to workout tho.........just look how awsome Matthew Garrison came out:D
  3. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    don't get me wrong, i highly respect jaco. but theoretically, everyone has the potential to become a better player than jaco. however, not many will reach that potential. i mean, it's not like jaco had 6 arms or 20 fingers. he's just a man. a highly-talented bass player, but a man nonetheless. just my $.02. good luck to him though...
  4. If you follow that link, Tom Lundberg is one of the guys mentioned on that page. I took trombone lessons from him in junior high. He's really really good.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I disagree! Not everybody has the inert ability that people like Jaco/ Stevie Wonder / Coltrane etc. have....these are truley gifted people!!!...and sometimes that gift comes at a cost:(
  6. He looks a lot like daddy!
  7. Wow at the Jaco tribute concert they had 50 bass players playing "Portrait of Tracy" in unison... that could either be really cool or really not cool.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've also yet to actually hear Felix, but growing up around the musicians he did and learning from the musicians he likely did and with the "musical genes" he has, he could definitely be quite a player. I've heard amazing things about Julius, too, but he doesn't get the same coverage because he did take over as the bass player.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I agree with you, Jerry.
    The 'gifted' are few, the innovators are even rarer.

...and sometimes "it" is in the genetic code. ;)
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Jerry you da man! Couldn't have said it better!;)
  11. I agree with Jerry, too, with a small caveat:

the POTENTIAL is found in the genes;
    living up to that potential comes from the SOUL!!
  12. ...chops are nothing without composition...

Just my 2 cents
  13. I agree with that. Even if someone has monster potential, or monster chops, its nothing if he doesn't know how to touch you. In my mind someone who is able to touch you with one note, and one who is able to touch you with twenty, are equal. Bob Marley might not have been the greatest song writer or musician the world has ever known, but he knew how to use music as his paint brush, and in my mind is just as good as any "Havona".
  14. I think being Jaco's son would be sort of a double edged sword... sure it'd be great to have that kind of exposure to music, but it'd be pretty hard be known as anything other than Jaco's son.

Not discredit the guy, I haven't heard him play, just my opinion.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    kind of like how victor bailey was known as "the bassist that replaced Jaco in weather report"?
  16. Basho

Basho Guest

There's a show on the live music archive (http://www.archive.org/audio/) of him playing with the Jeff Coffin Mu'Tet a couple years back.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I also agree with that. Bill Dickens case in point. As fast a slapper and fingerstyle player he is, I have not heard anything musical from him. And it annoys me to no end that a guy like that can get endorsements (i.e. free basses and amps) and not have anything to say musically!
  18. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Based on what I'm listening to right now - the mp3 of "So What" - Felix is his own man. Dang, that is one happenin' jam. Somewhat Jaco-esque, but it doesn't really sound like Jaco. Very cool.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Felix definitely has skills but as far as playing and sounding like his dad? Nah! I don't get the same sense of impecable timing or lyricism from him. He has the ability to play arpeggios for days but I don't feel him the way I felt Jaco. He needs to hang with the big boys a little more and listen and learn. He'll get there!