Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco's Word of Mouth

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rude boy, May 3, 2002.

1. rude boy

rude boy

Feb 11, 2000
    Pittsburgh area
    Is anybody else out there as in love with Jaco Pastorius's "Word of Mouth" album as I am? I think "John and Mary" is Jaco's best composistion. It has that beautiful middle section, and the rest has a great groove, while still having so much beautiful thematic material. Anyone else think it's his most under-rated album?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I totally dig it...

"Crisis", the 1st track, wow!
    A disturbing piece of music to say the least.

3. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
    One of the most beautiful albums ever! As heavy a bass player as Jaco was he was an even heavier composer!

CT

4. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Im just getting into that album! My favourite song at the moment is Crisis!

5. I think that's my favorite song too. This album is so amazing. I heard that Warner Bros. records wasn't happy with the Word of Mouth music at the time it was recorded.

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Blackbird is on it too. Great Album!!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1......especially Crisis! I think it was a peek into Jaco's mind :cool:

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Great album! I love Crisis. I have read that Jaco was a miles Davis fan, and you can really hear it on that tune. Sounds like Bitches Brew or something. And Blackbird is stunning!

9. +1 That is probably my favourite song aswell. Its one of the few songs that makes me shiver.

10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    +1

word of mouth is my fav. jaco album

11. Yeah, there's alot of emotion in Crisis.
    Great album, allthough I dig the horns more on the birthday concert.

12. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I think I still like his debut album a little better overall, but "Three Views of a Secret" has got to be one the best compositions of the 20th century. My personal fave is "John & Mary" like you guys above, but I also have always really dug "Liberty City" (it was the first song I ever transcribed horn parts just for fun). The bass ostinato is really fun to play, and the bridge parts are very powerful.

13. That version is just gorgeous - I love the weird world music stuff that floats around the background on that. I do love this album but I know this sounds odd, but I'm not too keen on the production - the bass actually sound a bit distant to me - but maybe I should dig it out and listen to it again.

Having said that, I think this album proved what he was capable of with his writing and from that point of view it's so sad we never got to hear more of this stuff - I know there a lt out there - but he could have written some even more incredible stuff by now - we'll ever know.

M

14. Check out the Richard Bona version here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147486

It's killing

15. Three Views of a Secret must be one of my favorite recordings of all time. It's one of those songs who really turns me emotional some times. Surely there's something special about it.

16. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    WOW, thank you!!! :) Bona is something special, for sure.

+1 I did a video project last year and had a slide show of me and my two kids, and used that song as the soundtrack (tying the three of us into "Three Views"), and it's still a tear-jerker for me when I watch it. That music is just incredibly deep.

17. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Word of Mouth had some good songs on it.. But it wasn't as good as the debut. Every song on the debut was amazing in every way.