Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacques Tubeblower

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Here I have my overdrive pedal, at least !! :)

I tested a lot of pedals, Sparkle Drive, MXR Zack Wylde, Tech 21 XXL Bass, Maxon, EBS...

I've found my hapiness in this one. Just wonderful... But let's begin at the begining.

The thing :

[​IMG]

The official website :
    http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/tubeblower.htm

As big as a Boss, dark green, I love that look. Jack In, Out, 9v in, electronic switch. Metal box. Grip on the bottom side.

The batterie location is smartly done, no batterie clip with wire that break every time, but the same system that everybody uses everywhere but in the stompboxes : a simple location with two leads.

Controls : level, drive, and a two band egaliser low/high.

The sound :

The drive pot allows a full range sweep, from (almost) clean boost to huge distortion. Wonderful... At max, it sounds almost like a Rat, fat distortion. I never saw so much range of gain.

The egaliser is pretty cool ! Highs remains musical, never harsh, even at full range. They allow a perfect tuning of the drive, independantly of the lows, which allow more or less "presence", bottom end. This pedal has lows to put out !!!

It's the best sounding pedal I've tested so far. Simply wonderful, one more time...

I'll put photos and soundclip as soon as possible, but I'm in exams right now, so be patient, please ! ;)

I never tested the Fulltone Bassdrive, remember...
    I never tested an overdrive that let me think it was built for giving a good tone on bass. The best overdrive I ever tested, nothing less. 135€ directly from Jacques, 155€ in stores. Should be a little more in us, I think.

If you're looking for an overdrive, don't bother you, it's the one !!!!

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Some more impressions : I'm in love... :hyper:

This pedal is a must have !! Very dynamic, even with higher gain you can play smooth, whitout overdrive, and you can overdrive the sound by playing louder.

The tone is just beautiful. And I'll face a lack of word... Let's just say I found my overdrive, whitout any doubt !!!!

Some pics :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If I hadn't just found MY overdrive, I'd be running out to try one right not.

I found the footpedal to feel a bit wierd on the jacques stuff, it was of good quality but didn't seem to have much movement in it.

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Yes, a light touch is enough to move it all his way. But well, that doesn't bother me, I could say even the contrary, you don't have to litteraly stomp your pedal, you can just touch it ! :smug:

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You'd have saved a lot of money if you listened to me :).

6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    What do you mean ? :confused:

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You should have bought it before . :)

8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Oh, yes... ;)
    But you know, I bought it as soon I tested it ! :D And I tested it as soon as I found one in Lyon !

I don't know why I don't bought it without having tested it, as I did for several pedals. I think the Big Muff was enough for me for a while. Now that I have that, I wonder how I could think that... :)

And to finish with, I don't really lost money, as I never bought another overdrive before (except this Sparkle Drive... But for the prive I paid, I should be able to re-sell it without losing money !! :D )

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nice... I have been tempted many a time by his pedals... I may just give in soon...

Alex

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    How would you compare the tubeblower to the sparkle drive? Can the tubeblower mimic the mild OD of the sparkle drive? Or are the two different?

11. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well, I will be able to say that precisely in about a week, for I'm waiting for a Sparkle Drive I bought just some days before... I'll sell it as soon as it arrives, of course (I hadn't tried the Tubeblower yet when I bought it) (bought used, so don't worry, I won't loose money...).

12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I recieved the Sparkle Drive today !

Well, the Spakle is quite different, the Tubeblower can't really mimic it. I personnaly prefer the Tubeblower, but well, it's a matter of taste, there. The Blend is a good option, but the Tubeblower has more dynamic, more gain, 2 band egaliser. The overall tone is just different, more transparent for the Jacques, more mediums for the Voodoo lab.

13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Up !

I made soundclips, if you're interested...

I used my MIJ Jazzbass, bridge pickup, and Hartke 60w preamp. It's a quite transparent pedal, directly in my computer it was awful.

Low and High are at 12 'clock except for the one specified.

Clean first, then effect on, minimum gain :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/tubeblower/clean-min.mp3

Medium gain :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/tubeblower/moyen.mp3

Max gain :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/tubeblower/max.mp3

With a pick :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/tubeblower/pick.mp3

Here I touch the Low and High pots :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/tubeblower/mix.mp3

They don't sound goo to my ears, here on my computer's speakers. It's an overdrive, a very transparent one, so it has to be "lived", to really feel what comes out of this.