Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jade solo rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by random bassist, Feb 2, 2005.

1. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    I have just had a rehair job done on my bow, and was wondering if anyone had used this stuff. I have heard some very good comments on it from several cellists, and was wondering if there was anyone who had used the bass version. Aparently they make a regular and a solo version, and I'd just like to hear from a fellow bassist about the stuff.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Comes in a clear plastic container with a light yellow lead ? Wrapped in a yellow cloth, the stuff is actually dark green ? It belongs to the sticky sub-category of rosins. I got a complementary cake that's been sitting on the shelf for three years. Some poeple love it. It's my spare cake, whenever I forget my Nyman somewhere...

3. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Fl
    Yup that'd be the stuff. I just tried it today and I am really impressed with it. It's a lot smoother than the pops I'm used to, yet it is still really responsive. I think im gonna stick with it. Its also easier to use than pops. By that I mean it can get warm and i can put it in my pocket without worrying.

4. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I used it this fall on my teacher's recomendation. It is very sticky. I did notice if I put too much on, I'd ocasionally stick the bow when trying to start a note.

It worked well until about a month ago, the weather changed here and I found I wasn't getting enough grip to ensure not scratching a note.

Now I'm using the Clarity winter and have found it smoother tone than the Jade.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I found Jade to be very pronounced right away, resembling Pops in a way but very strong. I did find however that it wore off after about 20 minutes.