Jade solo rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by random bassist, Feb 2, 2005.

1. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    I have just had a rehair job done on my bow, and was wondering if anyone had used this stuff. I have heard some very good comments on it from several cellists, and was wondering if there was anyone who had used the bass version. Aparently they make a regular and a solo version, and I'd just like to hear from a fellow bassist about the stuff.
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Comes in a clear plastic container with a light yellow lead ? Wrapped in a yellow cloth, the stuff is actually dark green ? It belongs to the sticky sub-category of rosins. I got a complementary cake that's been sitting on the shelf for three years. Some poeple love it. It's my spare cake, whenever I forget my Nyman somewhere...
  3. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Yup that'd be the stuff. I just tried it today and I am really impressed with it. It's a lot smoother than the pops I'm used to, yet it is still really responsive. I think im gonna stick with it. Its also easier to use than pops. By that I mean it can get warm and i can put it in my pocket without worrying.
  4. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I used it this fall on my teacher's recomendation. It is very sticky. I did notice if I put too much on, I'd ocasionally stick the bow when trying to start a note.

It worked well until about a month ago, the weather changed here and I found I wasn't getting enough grip to ensure not scratching a note.

Now I'm using the Clarity winter and have found it smoother tone than the Jade.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I found Jade to be very pronounced right away, resembling Pops in a way but very strong. I did find however that it wore off after about 20 minutes.