Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JAF custom review(lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabbadon8, Dec 5, 2004.

1. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    Ok...here we go....

Looks:Top looks absolutely gorgeous. The figuring is really deep on the walnut and the grain is very nice. The ask core works well with the look and is finished nicely. The fingerboard is also a looker. The pao ferro looks great and almost blends with the walnut top. The JAF inlay was done well and the headstock overlay looks amazing.

Feel: The carving on the body is excellent and the ergonomics are great, very comfortable to play especially when standing. The neck is comfortable and has a very flat back; easy to get around on. Bass balances perfectly when standing. Fret job was better than expected, I was a little worried when I heard of BP770's problem but Al did a great job.

Sound: Sounds awesome! Great mids and highs, the lows aren't the best I've heard when the EQ is flat but with a little boost from the onboard pre and they can get very full. The B is tight and sounds good, maybe not the best I've played but definitely one of the best I've played. There is a good balance Between the strings. I haven't had a chance to use it in a band setting yet, hopfully in the next day or two.

Electronics: EMG pick-ups sound great. They do sound like EMG's(duh) so if you like the sound their great. The preamp is great, I'm glad I went with the 3 band, very flexible.

Problems: their were a few little problems when it arrived, all pretty minor. On one of the pots(concentric) when the top knob is moved the bottom one some times moves slightly, their were a few little scratches but nothing really noticable on the body(not sure if they were JAF's fault, maybe the customs guys gave the bass a try :D)
    Also the back of the head stock felt like it didn't have enogh finish. These were all pretty minor and did not effect the bass over all.

Overall:Great bass for the money. The wait was a little to much for me but I made it and am glad I did. The bass is excellent and will be put to good use. I'd definitely recommend the guys at JAF. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two sides of the back look different shades but I really can't tell a differnce in person, must be the pic. :meh:
    [​IMG]

Where I took the photos:cool:
    [​IMG]

3. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    show the figure better... :)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey man, where in Flaw-ee-duh are you?

I'd love to check that out, if you're not too far from the Orlando area....or if you ever want to make "the pilgrimage" to Bass Central, bring it with, we'd love to see it!

Looks incredible! :D

5. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    Ft. Lauderdale, it's kinda of a long drive to orlando but I tend to go there once a year, so maybe one day...

Last time I was there I didn't have a chance to go to bass central so I'd like to go next time I'm up there. :crying:

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's a very nice looking bass!! The top is awesome!! How long did you have to wait for it?

7. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    15 months, quoted 6-7 months...I was days from flying to canada to hunt them down. ;) :ninja: