Jaguar Baritone strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BenderR, Oct 27, 2004.

1. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    There have been persistent questions regarding the proper strings for the Jaguar Baritone custom. Initially, it was said to use the 5350 Bass VI stainless strings but they did not seem to match the OEM strings on the Jaguar. The biggest difference that I could see was that the Bass VI strings have the big, bass-style rivets and the Jaguar strings have smaller rivets. The Bass VI strings are also cut for a 30" instrument and I believe that they are too thick to go inside the tuner.

In the interest of truth, justice and six-string bassists everywhere I called Fender and behold, they are no longer listing the Bass VI set as fitting the Jag Baritone but instead are going to import and market the OEM Japanese strings. There is also an Ernie Ball set (made for the Silhouette) that is close, although lighter gauged.
  2. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I use these on my bari and like them much;

These likely won't get you a very good feeling E, but they'll work;

4. I talked to fender on the phone today and got the runaround. they got some guy on the phone that owns one and he said to get regular baritone strings and tune it to A to A. but all i want is the strings that came on it in the first place.
  5. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    That is ridiculous. I have six sets of Jaguar Baritone Custom OEM strings that I bought from a Fender dealer.
  6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Rick.. from what I've heard about Fender (from dealers), its probably never a great idea to rely on them for something. While they might have a good reputation for a lot of things, I just wouldnt risk it with their customer service.
  7. Emailed Fender and got a good response! :hyper: They do make them and the p/n is 073-5350-001 for anyone who is interested.
  8. PJPJ

Jul 13, 2004
    I use the D'Addario xl156 on my Gretsch Jet Baritone and like the sound and playability but ... I really had to adjust the bridge and truss rod quite finely to get the low E taut enough to be articulate. They have a nice rich ringing sound when trebled up and a passable bass tone (good for tic tac style with a pick, lots of compression and a smidge of reverb).