1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaguar Bass Body Specs.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bobroberts, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bobroberts

bobroberts

Oct 14, 2009
    Hi all. I want to build a jaguar bass body, but cant find the specs anywhere. Does anyone know where i might find those? thanks.

2. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    im trying too! Srry I have a 0 post thread

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Me Three! :D

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I found this. ive scaled it to what i think should be the correct dimensions, hopefully it helps you guys.

..i have to find somewhere to print it out.

Attached Files:

5. gruda

gruda

Aug 19, 2009
    it kinda helps

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Looks like that is the guitar body, so the scale is wrong.

use the neck pocket instead and it should be fine.

7. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    When I want a Fender template I go here:

http://www.fender.com/support/wiring_diagrams_parts_lists.php

Any "parts layout" download will be a PDF that you can scale to size. I looked for a Jaguar and there is only a 6 string guitar. They are great diagrams though and I'm sure you could modify that to work for a bass... just download a bass diagram with the Jaguar diagram and vwalla!

8. bobroberts

bobroberts

Oct 14, 2009
    that is helpful but i need something with actual measurements. maybe fender will sell me something. i have considered renting one, taking it apart measuring it and returning it?

9. DoneOne

DoneOne

Oct 18, 2009
    I seem to remember that there's something kind of funky with these with regard to the bridge and pickup placement. The artists<?> that put fender pdf's together aren't always concerned with accuracy when playing Mr. Potato Head with guitar parts. The bridge may be off center or not at the position it needs to be for the proper scale... etc.

Also, this is a japan made guitar with japanese plates, switches and pots... and it's outline doesn't have the clean geometry (consistent arcs) of the jaguar and jazzmaster. It's definitely not a bass neck stuck on a jag or jm body.

all that being said... :ninja:

www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf.../SD0259505APg1.pdf

when you're done saving that, change the 1 (SD0259505APg1.pdf) to a 2 in the browser addy, refresh and save again. Rinse and repeat 'til you have pages 3 and 4 saved.

Scaling... either a cad program that can import pdfs or a postscript program like illustrator or freehand. The neck scale is the first key - secondly the 2.5" width of the neck at the butt end... and as a check, the mounting screws for the slide switches should be 28.5mm center to center. Again, they're japanese plates and switches, though I suspect you could use usa plates... it might be worth calling or emailing darren riley to ask if the usa plates snug up to the pick guard correctly. Either way, he has most everything you'll need... the active board? dunno.. good luck.

the jazz bass pdf in the thread below might be worth a look for bits and pieces common to both - neck route - bridge placement - pickup sizes, etc...
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bass-place/178963-diy-knowledge-bass.html

The suggestion of reading Preeb's bass threads in that post is a good one if you can avoid being discouraged by the quality of his work and attention to minute detail.

if you need help scaling - email done_one at hotmail... he might be scaling it already just out of curiosity.

the disclaimer = it's an unverified drawing - it's best to have parts in hand to verify the print before you waste time and material. It's from fender, but may have been mangled in these "reference only" pdfs. It's also a the best way to verify proper scaling.

10. bobroberts

bobroberts

Oct 14, 2009
    thanks a lot of that info is helpful. unfortunately that jag pdf seems to have been removed from the fender site. but i am still digging around for it. thanks for the number.

11. DoneOne

DoneOne

Oct 18, 2009
    ok, I'm new here... is there a trick to posting a link without it being truncated and rendered useless like my fender link above?

thanks for the catch, Nomad.

12. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hey DoneOne,

I just sent you an email with the link. try that and if it doesn't work send me your email address and I will attach it and send it to you.

Or...

Not sure why it's truncated but this is the second half:

diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0259505A/SD0259505APg1.pdf

13. DoneOne

DoneOne

Oct 18, 2009
    what's weird is that is sucked out the middle of the link.

I think I know what happened... for some reason, the browser tab I was typing in wasn't logged on anymore when I went to preview and when I copied it to one that was logged in, it copied and pasted the short display version. I must have copied from a previous preview. I preview a lot, apparently.

14. DoneOne

DoneOne

Oct 18, 2009
    this ought to be pretty close...

Attached Files:

15. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Wow, that's a really good resource for anyone wanting to build a jag copy!

16. DoneOne

DoneOne

Oct 18, 2009
    ...or a starting point for a custom jag / jm bass. I might draw up a couple p/j versions this weekend.

17. bobroberts

bobroberts

Oct 14, 2009
    thanks a lot that pdf is going to be my starting point. you rock.

18. DoneOne

DoneOne

Oct 18, 2009
    I'll be playing with this this weekend... any ideas for customizing?

The cost of the stock parts add up quick... and with new jags going for 599 online, building one from scratch starts making real sense when one intends swapping out major parts and or rerouting for different p'ups, etc.

one of the major knocks on the jag bass is the lack of separate vol controls... the original custom shop models (there were 4?) didn't have that problem:
    CustomShopCompetitionJagbass.
    looks to be a short scale on a 6 string body, but the jazz plate can be fitted to this with a custom pick guard.

19. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    wow, thanks for posting that!