1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaguar Bass or StingRay4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iroquoi, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    I'm going to buy a new bass soon, and i'm in doubt of wich bass should i buy... i recently tested many basses but jaguar and stingray are my favourites... I know that there's a big difference of price between the two models, but i want to know your opnion about this...
    I recently play with an OLP MM2, but i'm trying to learn some new stuff and i need a new bass... Obviously what i most liked in jaguar is that huge possibilities of tuning BUT he doesn't have that monster punch that a ray has... also the space between the strings is kinda small and i have big hands, so probably the ray could be better for slaping techniques...
    I frequently use effects too, like wah and fuzz...

So what do you guys think? Should i get the jag or the ray?:confused:
    (or maybe change the pickup of my current OLP for a basslines one?:eyebrow:)

I play rock, funk and reggae :bassist:

2. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Get the 'Ray...

3. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Not sure what you mean by, "possibilities of tuning." Either bass can be tuned up or down. :confused: Do you mean tonal variety?

If you like the sound and feel of a "Ray and the string spacing then get the 'Ray. The Jaguar gives you the benefit of both active and passive tones, and can cop a very close passive J sound in addition to the active tones on board, which is plenty punchy IMO. But go with what feels best. There's nothing wrong with a 'Ray.

4. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    sorry, i wanted to say tonal possibilities...

The other thing i want to know about the rays... is there difference between the poplar ones and the ash ones?

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You won't find a poplar one that was built in the last 5 years or more. They are all ash these days.

6. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    hmmmm... i got confuse cuz in the guitarcenter website says poplar as teh bodywood... thanks for the info

7. i vote the jag. i just think it's cooler

8. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    The bridge on the jaguar has screw saddles so you can change the stringspacing if you need to.

9. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Huh???:eyebrow:

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I think he means the Jag has threaded saddles. You can make the string spacing at the bridge a hair wider or narrower with threaded saddles (like 50's and 60's Fenders).

11. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Haha.. yes, threaded.. sorry. :)

12. limit6

limit6 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    My 93 ray is on the market. Let me know if you are interested via PM. My price is negotiable

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'd get a Ray myself. It sounds like you like it more as well.

14. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I would get the ray.

I've played a jaguar a few days ago. Really liked it. Played good, sounded good. Pre amp wasn't all that. And I couldn't help but thinking it felt to cheap for the money it costed (970€). It did'nt feel cheap cheap, but it didn't ooze quality and durability like for example a ray does. And I think a bass in that price range must ooze quality and durability.

15. A dual pickup Stingray would give you everything you like in a stingray + more tonal option with the second pickup.

Definatley worth looking into.

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Here, a Jag is about $750 and a Ray is $1300 to $1400.

17. "And I think a bass in that price range must ooze quality and durability."

Heh, heh. "Ooze"

18. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think the OP is referring the Jaguar Baritone guitar. Because a Jaguar bass doesn't have any more tuning possibilities than a Stingray.

That said, if you afford the Ray, get the Ray. Its better. Now, if the question were to get a Ray or a Deluxe Jazz Bass, it would be harder to decide. Well, for me anyways.

19. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    Well, thanks god i'm in the 1% of bassists who doesn't like the jazz bass, and it really makes my choice easier... (altought jaguar has a very similar pickup)

20. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I think he meant TONAL possibilities, not tuning.