Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaguar bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Has anyone ever tried to build or at least seen a jaguar shaped bass? I like that shape and was wondering if anyone knows of one I can get. I have a short-scale bass in the shape of a jaguar,(I got it really cheap and used) but I don't know who makes it, because when I got it, the headstock was all scratched up so I couldn't read it. Really the only one I know of is the fender Bass VI (which I REALLY want, but They don't make them any more not to mention the ones i can buy are really expensive.) I've also seen a bass (which I also really like) I think the name is Stagg, they had a shortscale jaguar bass with 2 humbuckers. yeah i know I talk a lot about shortscale but I just think shortscale is perfect for jaguar basses! well, thanks for the help,
    Charlie

2. Fender still makes the VI it was reissued in 1995.

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/fender_bass_vi.html

[​IMG]

Fender also makes a Fender Jaguar guitar.
    [​IMG]

They also make a Jazz Master guitar.
    [​IMG]

Never heard of Staag basses, but who knows!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Silvertone/Teisco made a bass called the NB-4 that resembled the Jaguar shape. Flea used one of them in the videos for "Higher Ground" and "Taste the Pain". The headstock looks kind of like an enlarged Fender headstock with 2 tuners on each side.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    trust me if youve ever played ANY other bass u will be hugely underinpressed with a stagg. they are very cheap and very nasty. i was playing the exactly model you are tlaking about about 3 hours ago in my local music store, and it BLOWS!

the neck profile is HUGE really really thick and really really uncomfortable. the output in monumentally low even from the two 'buckers.

i didnt really like the sound. i guess it would be OK with maybe a sansamp DI and a poewrful amp for "no-brains" rock n roll, but not much else. i tried to slap and couldnt, there isnt enough room. for the money there are many basses that i would get over the stagg

the ONLY decent product that stagg make (imo) is their guitar stands! which are infact excellent

5. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Fender Custom Shop made a special run of 4 longscale Jaguar basses in 2000, maybe 2001. They had a single twin-jazz pickup. Elderly Instruments had one of them.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Maybe Warmoth would mill one of their Jag style bodies to fit a Warmoth bass neck...

It's worth asking if you're really interested.

Or...looking at pictures of both bodies on Warmoth's site, the shape between a Jazz Bass and a Jaguar guitar is very similar. I didn't try to lay a drawing of the Jag on top of the Jazz, but it may be possible to modify a J body to look pretty much like a Jag...it might mess up the balance though...

Have fun!!!

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    or perhaps this bass.

8. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Where can I get one of those 'ESP' Jag basses?

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I really don't know, but ESP japan makes them. They are very expensive though, like $2,000 up. Maybe you could order one from ESP, or a website like www.ikebe-gakki.com might be able to find you one. Either way it's gonna be a bit of a hassle getting english service.

10. These look kinda KEWL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    $2,500 for one of those. Not sure if I want to drop almsot three grand for something I can't even touch.

12. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Huh...they look stunning!:cool:

13. i'm gonna have to wholeheartedly dissagree with you there. i've played several stagg basses and owned a fretless 4 string, and, although cheapy. there's nothing that comes close to them for less than 200 quid.

granted, i haven't played the model you mentioned. but all their other basses have been great. maby you were unlucky and played a dud one.

Tom

14. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well there's a cheaper version

15. I like those fender bass VI copies, but how the heck am I supposed to come up with 94,000 yen! lol, anyways, so Treena, you say they still make the fender bass VI? where can I get one? I guess it is kind of odd that the guitar store in the next town sells Fender Bass VI strings. well anyways, a reissue would be awesome if I could find one!!
    Thanks for the help everyone!
    Charlie

16. GC, carries the reissue and, you can ask them to order one for you, if they do not have one in stock..

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. The ESP Tetsu basses are expensive because they're signature models made for Tetsu, the bass player for the band L'arc en Ciel (and his solo band, TETSU69). As far as I know you can only get them in Japan. I've been wanting to try one out for awhile. Though ESP isn't all that popular in the US, the company is huge in Japan. They have some really nice basses that I wish were brought over.

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i love this STAGG

[​IMG]

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Here's one of the 4 Fender Custom Shop Jag Basses.

[​IMG]

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Here's another one of the 4 Fender CS's

[​IMG]