Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaguar basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironmaidenisgod, Jun 7, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I'm a beginner so please forgive me if this question is stupid.

I own a Gibson 4 string fretted Jaguar.I thought that Jaguars were a Gibson make,but now I've realised that various manufacturers make it.

Just wonder if you can tell me the strengths and weaknesses of Jaguars.Like whether they are more receptive to slapping/popping and which bassists use them etc.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    gibson does not make a jaguar bass to my knowledge, actually no one does to my knowledge. If your talking about the jaguar body shape, which is a fender guitar, then the closest gibson shape i can think of is the non reverse thunderbird, which im not even sure if that ever came out or just the firebird guitar version did. Some pictures would help, as well as a few more details.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Non Reverse T Bird ?

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    to my knowledge they never made a non reverse thunerbird, but they did make a non reverse firebird, which is why i said that. Thats pretty much the the closet body shape to a jaguar that i can think of, so that is why i suggested that. Im sure theyd do something like that for you in the custom shop, but why, the non reverse body style is ugly.

6. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    the Fender Bass VI looks pretty close to jag shape

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Captain n00bit is wrong :p.. Just kidding man.. But, they did make a non reverse thunderbird. They were introduced sometime around 1965, but were discontinued in the late 60's... Hell, John Entwistle used to take their bodies and put P-Bass necks on them.
    [​IMG]

8. Actully he got new bodies made, he didnt use actual gibson bodies. He also made the new bodies thicker.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Damn book :p..

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    In the mid 60's, during which time the Firebirds evolved from the reverse body to the non-reverse body, the Thunderbirds went along the same route. While they are quite rare, non-reverse Gibson Thunderbirds are out there. (And I am not referring to the recent Epi non-reverse Thunderbirds.)

Steve

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

T Birds look great in green :bassist:

12. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    i have a non-reverse thunderbird, it looks sorta like fender jaguar guitar, but what i think ur lookin at is a fender mustang, those have kinda the same body style, and yeah the mustangs play good, but doesnt compare to a thunderbird . id show you a pic, but i cant figure out how to insert pictures , im new to talkbass, dont exactly understand the stuff yet

13. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    [​IMG]

fender did one custom made it looks pretty similar to this one but much better, only one humbucker but as this nice ashtray bridge cover.

I'm too lazy to post a pics of the fender one.

14. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    Here is the non-reverse firebird, this one isnt an actual pic of mine(im too lazy to buy a digital camera or a scanner), but it has the same finish. Great bass if i do say so.

15. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I have a Jag-like project in mind... but due to the lack of funds, I can think about it only nex year.

This is the best my shallow photoshop skills can do:

5 strings, fretless, black with this finish, tort pickguard, rosewood board, Basslines MM5 + ultrajazz on the neck, or maybe 3 ultrajazz pickups, with 2 inside one cover wired as a humbucker at the bridge, BTB01, 3+2 headstock (a la MPG)

[​IMG]

yumm... :bassist: