1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaguar body, Jazzmaster-like bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, May 4, 2010.

1. Hey all,

For as long as i can remember, my favorite electric guitar has been the Fender Jazzmaster. Not only because of people who have played it, and it's tone... but aesthetically i just really like it!

I have played a Jag before, and dug it enough... but it's complex aesthetic is a bit of a turn of.

So, aside from the discontinued SX version (so kicking myself for not snatching one up :scowl:), are there any basses that have a Jazzmaster/simplified Jaguar body type?

2. I think I remember seeing a Tokai or Hondo version of the Jag, but as a guitar... not a bass.

With the Fender Jaguar recently being discontinued, you can pick up one cheap from the big stores online. I just bought one a few months ago. I really love it. It it a real player. Although it has a preamp, it shines as a passive bass. I haven't played my other basses since I got her.

3. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Stagg made one. I thought the looked cool. Not sure if they are still making that model. Google and you'll find it.

4. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Oooh, I never liked those basses before, not to mention having owned a couple of instruments by stagg which were, shall we say, inglorious. But these are starting to grow on me. Alder body, 21 frets, H/H pu's, man! Boogedyboogedy.

5. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ummmm.....

Look at the post above yours.

;)

:D

7. i was actually going to buy one of those on saturday and modd it into a jazzmaster bass

looks like someone got the same idea

altho for the record dark horse would finnish befor me since im now working

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D

Actually, my current project is well underway - Bronco Bass complete makeover !

9. i cant wate too see that

give it a matching headstock

p.s do you have any ideas on how i could make it more like a jazzmaster than a jaguar bass

my initial reaction would be to get rid of those pickups and replace with some nice passive j-style but i dont want it too much like a jag bass

altho for the record i did have the idea of seeing if i could get a phase switch on the pickups

10. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
  11. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    um... what's wrong with a good old fashion Jazz Bass?

12. in my opinion... nothing... I just like my Jag more.

13. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Like this one?
    103_0146.
    I got this awhile back so that I could make a template for a bass that I want to build.

Moonshine :bassist:

14. Nothing. Just an aesthetic thing.

Personally, i'm not a Jazz bass fan. I sold my MiM Fender... midnight wine w/black pickguard, purdy... just wasn't my thing.

I have a friend who has offered me a good deal on some Gibson Tbird pups..... those Staggs look like a NICE project for that...

15. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I have a 78 Jazzmaster. I'd post a picture, but, well, it's not a bass...

16. Does anyone have any experience with those Stagg Jag clones? They look like good project fodder.