1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaguar or DJ4??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattq, May 29, 2007.

1. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    so i'm selling my warwick locally, and that combined with leftover birthday money should get me some dough here coming up. i've played the jaguar and the lakland (not side by side) and love the feel on both of them. also, they sounded great through the amps i played them through. now, the jaguar is considerably less money than the dj4 and with the leftover cash i could get a case for my currently naked yba200. so my question is this: is the quality of a lakland skyline worth more than a jaguar+an amp case?

disclaimer- i'd buy used if i could ever find the right color jag/jones on the used market, and unless it's block inlays on a rosewood board for under a grand that looks as rad as those two basses i'm not too interested

2. get a MIJ White or Sunburst Jaguar....they look amazing!

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a Jaguar for all of 10 minutes and was impressed. But, being the former owner of a Lakland DJ, I'd give the edge to the Lakland. The Jaguar has a lot of flexibility, but to me, the Lakland just feels more solid, and seems to cut through really well. I love its growl, something I didn't quite get from the Jag.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I personally would go with a jag. Cheaper, better for lookins, and just all around cooler in my opinion.

5. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    i very much love that growl too. i think i might be able to coax that out of the jag, but i'm not sure. thanks for reminding me of that. something to think about....

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you can afford it, the Lakland is just more solid and overall better quality and sound IMO.

7. The Darryl Jones is a much better choice. You will not have to worry about quality at all. You'll love it.

8. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    go jaguar bro

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    The Jag has active electronics, the DJ passive. The Jag has a gloss finish on the neck where the DJ has a satin finish. Personally, I totally dig the DJ and would choose it over the Jag.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021