Jaguar vs Vintage Grabber G3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erock909, Aug 19, 2013.

1. erock909

erock909

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Hey friends. I am currently the owner of a Fender Jaguar bass and have wanted/been interested in owning a Gibson Grabber for quite some time. I have never been able to play a vintage G3, so I am seeking out the opinions of people who have played or know enough about both.
    I just wanted to know if swapping the Jaguar for one would be beneficial to my situation. I play music along the lines of mostly extreme rock. (IE: Progressive/math rock, post hardcore, post metal, etc.) Would really appreciate any feedback on this mental dilemma of mine. Thanks!

2. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Absolutely. The G3 is more sonically versatile, and in my opinion a better crafted instrument.

The all maple construction will also cut through a mix better than the alder/rosewood of the Jaguar.

There's one for sale in the classifieds right now ;)

3. erock909

erock909

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Appreciate the input! I actually have a prospect worth trading for at the moment. And it's only a few hours drive, so I can go check it out in person.

4. erock909

erock909

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Bump.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It is unlikely that Gibson builds a "better crafted" anything than anybody. Having said that, both will be versatile instruments. Jags tend to neck dive a bit, and grabbers/rippers have freakishly large bodies.

Best to check out the Gibson before committing to anything.

6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I've actually played both, and fretwork and resonance of the Grabber was better...as I said, 'in my opinion' ;)

Hopefully the OP lets us know how his AB findings compare :bassist:

7. DannyBlueOrigin

DannyBlueOrigin

Jun 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Endorsing Artist: Dean Guitars
    Aren't vintage Grabbers a slightly longer scale length? I think I read that they're a 34.5? That might be worth taking into consideration. But, I love my Grabber (G3 Reissue), I use it mostly in a hard rock band, but I also play more progressive & extreme stuff (think, I mix of Mastodon & Dillinger Escape Plan) & it sounds perfect for that kind of thing! If a vintage one sounds like the reissue, then you'll be sorted! All IMO, of course.

8. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    The G3s that I have played, and a grabber, have all been very good basses. I would deffinatly take the G3

9. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Between those the Gibson. The Jaguars have great necks, haven't played one that wasn't noisy and as someone else said they tend to be neck heavy.

The G3 is one of very few basses I have gas for. To me they are better sounding and more versatile than any other Gibson bass.

10. erock909

erock909

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Yeah I'll definitely keep you guys posted on things. To be honest the only reason I wanted a vintage one as opposed to the 09 reissue is because I heard the vintage G3's were considerably better. But if DannyBlueOrigin says he loves it, maybe I should consider the reissue seeing as how they're much easier to come by? :O
    Either way, I'll be dropping by my Sam Ash to test drive the reissue.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Gibson uses plek, so the fretwork is good. They also paint with their eyes closed, based on the work I've seen.

12. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    My Jaguar never did neck dives, but the neck was finicky in regards to string tension. That and the noise issue were its downfalls, IMO. The way I see it, a vintage Grabber in good shape is worth a lot more, and Jaguars can still be found all over the place for very fair prices.

13. erock909

erock909

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    ^ That's very true. Might be getting my hands on a 1981 in pretty good condition. :)

Thanks for furthering the input here!

14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The noise on the 4 or 5 Jaguar's I've come across is pretty terrible. I think they could be cool basses if completely modded. They are at their core jazz basses.

The G3's I've played, one from the 70's and one of the recent re-release both just seemed so right. felt great and sounded surprisingly amazing.

Don't forget the magical mojo you get with a vintage bass.... ;). It will give you something to worry about when you play out.:bag:

15. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I liked my Jaguar just fine. Played the snot out of it, and had it loaded with copper sheeting, since I work in the stained glass industry. But, although they're great basses, compared to what you're looking at, I personally would consider them to be a little more disposable, that's all. I don't intend to disparage Jaguars at all. I just mean that if I were you, I'd go for the Gibson if it moved me in that way.

16. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I've never owned a jag but I used to gig with a G3...but when we would record it was my jazz everytime. The G3 won in the cool category (and it was a super rare '82 in candy apple red that is the bass that I really regret seeling, damned rent) and it sounded pretty good but when I'd A/B it with the jazz, the jazz won going away everytime.

17. erock909

erock909

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Yeah, I've never owned a vintage bass so I'd look forward to that. But it does sound like the Grabber is more for me. To be honest though it's hard to tell when you're playing a bass that isn't yours if you truly will like it more unless it's blatantly obvious.

When I played the G3 reissue, it was great, but I liked my Jaguar more at the time because of the strings, action, etc.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021