Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jah essential reggae/dub albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by danhorne, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Hey i'm really starting to get into reggae/dub. I wanted to know what everyone thinks are some essential albums to check out or just some really good artists? jah!

Let the dub flow...

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, Bob Marley and the Wailers is a no brainer.. The Legend box set gives a good sampling of all his phases and styles and has all his best works. UB40 is another big act that has made waves in the reggae world. I'm having trouble thinking of names at the moment though. The problem with reggae is that although I love it when I'm on the mood, it all starts sounding the same realllllyyy fast. There isn't a huge variety in Reggae styles, but it has some great grooves. Try and find some of the ska-infused reggae stuff if you want more variety.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One of my favorites is Marley's "Rastaman Vibration." It's great.

brad cook

4. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    Actually, over its history, many distinct styles have come out of what we may consolidate as "Reggae". Dance Hall, DJ-Toasting, Ska, Dub, and other styles are very distinct.

If you want to get a terrific album that showcases a lot of reggae styles of the 70's and 80's I highly recommend the soundtrack to the film, "Rockers". Overall, I have never heard a better reggae album from start to finish....includes the Heptones, Gregory Isaacs, Peter Tosh, Jacob "Killer" Miller and several others.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-6185023-3889651?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

If you want to get into DUB, start with where it began and that is with Lee "Scratch" Perry and anything he produced in the 70's and 80's. You also should Google his name and just read some of the biographical history of this man. He was a truly seminal figure in the history of Reggae music. In particular were albums by a group of rotating personnel under the name "The Upsetters" or "Super Ape". So basically anything titled sorta like "Super Ape in Dub", "Return of the Super Ape" are cuts that will dub you deep. See more about this at:
    http://www.furious.com/perfect/leeperry/
    http://upsetta.tripod.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-6185023-3889651?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

From there, the world of Dub is vast, but two modern bass players who have done some interesting things with this style are Bill Laswell and Jah Wobble.....these guys are worth checking out.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this thread an exact duplicate of one I just answered somewhere else...? :meh:

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, Lee Perry, Mad Professor.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Look in "Recordings" !!

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Are you a schizo?

You just replied to your own post :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

I just remembered where the other - duplicate thread was!!

I'm not writing everything twice :meh: - then I would be schizoid!! ;)

10. Recordings eh, i'll have a look. Everything is looking good so far, keep the info coming

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't have the time right now, But once I get home tonight from work and my gig, I'll come up with a nice little list for you.

BTW, don't bother with amazon for buying reggae.

Go right to the best... Ernie B's Reggae. The biggest independent reggae distributor in the world, and a super nice guy to boot.

Also, I'd advise you go and pick up a copy of the Rough Guide to Reggae...written by one of the world's most knowledgeable reggae afficionados, Steve Barrows. It's just the thing to get you started.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    For dub I definitely 2nd the Lee "Scratch" Perry nomination. Then you should hunt down anything you can find from Scientist. His stuff is amazing. King Tubby is excellent too.

13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Steel Pulse - True Democracy. Well, any Steel Pulse really.

Brilliant album. Big part of my teen years as a suburban middle class punk rocker. :eyebrow:

14. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    "Third World" is another 70's group that's still around. you might say they're more a combination of R&B, Soul and Reggae but that's probably just 'cause they've got really good BG vacals. Did some stuff with Stevie W. too. (All of them are Jamaicans)

15. I posted this in the other thread as well. Here is my list of essentials:

Augustus Pablo/King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
    Black Uhuru/Dub Factor
    Burning Spear/Garvey's Ghost
    Scientist/Rids The World of The Evil Curse of The Vampires
    Keith Hudson/Pick A Dub
    Yabby You/Dub It To The Top
    Lee Perry/Return of The Super Ape

Bill Laswell has created some of my favorite contemporary Dub music. The Dub Chamber 3 (with Jah Wobble) is outstanding. Laswell did an ambient mix translation of Bob Marley's music called "Dreams of Freedom" that I highly recommend it. Also the second Trojan Dub Massive. . .

Here is an excellent dub resource on the Web:
    http://www.interruptor.ch/dub.shtml
    It's particularly good if you're interested in dub production techniques.

16. Hey guys, thanks for everything, lots of great info. I'm gonna get a bunch of stuff from my teaching, his life is reggae and dub so he'll be able to help me out. He's probably the main reason i am really starting to dig the reggae groove.

I checked out Ernie B's website, WOW. It impossible to find stuff like around here. Thanks,

Dan Horne