Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jakstadt for Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys-

I'm still in the nascent stage of trying new instruments. My german 3/4 is a breeze to play and amplifies well, but I'd like to find a bigger instrument that will allow me to leave the amp at home for some duo/trio gigs.

I've heard alot about how much sound the Jakstadt instruments produce and I'm fairly close to the Bass Cellar, thus I'm hoping to get over and try one out. However, I thought I might drop an inquiry here and see if any jazzers have any experience with them. I know the orchestral players say they've very powerful, but I haven't heard much regarding the pizz sound. Can anyone enlighten me? Are they bright instruments in the Czech tradition? Are the shoulders manageable for thumb position stuff?

Thanks!

2. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I took new one home to try out a few years ago when I was doing some extensive shopping. I didn't think it was worth the money asked. Didn't particularly bow well or knock me out with the pizz sound. This may have been a paricularly bright one, but it WAS brand new. Then I played someone else's for a few tunes last year in a club, and it wasn't much better. The Kolstein Panormo I ended up with easily blows that model away. The wood was rough carved 25 or so years ago and doesn't sound like a squeaky clean brand new bass when finished out, even better now since it's been played in. I've used it on gigs sans amp when the setting was right. It's also about the same price as the Jakstadt.

Ike

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That's really helpful, Ike. Kolstein is harder to check out but I'll keep it in mind. Is the Kolstein model a 7/8?

Will

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Wil, you might also try out a Shen 7/8 if you can find one around you. They are quite powerful and under 10k.. The thing with the bigger Basses are, they may work for and against your purpose. While you may be louder out in the audience, the Bass may also be deeper. You may not hear yourself as well or your intonation as well with a bigger un-amplified new bass.

Older Basses have had time to mellow out and sound without all that new type of 'noise' around each note. Older Basses will have truer fundamentals on each note and might be easier to play in tune.

I always prefer to use an Amp with my Bass if even just to have the volume up on '2' so I can hear my own notes. I played my 7/8 Italian Bass for 15 years+ and never played it without the Amp unless it was a Bowing Job. A few Years earlier I did some Gigs, Guitar/Bass and Harp/Bass and played my large Bernadel without an Amp. I am sure I sounded good to to audience but I couldn't hear everything I was playing.......

I have seen some older 60-100yr Czech/German Basses under the 10k price recently that would suit your purpose as well but they had alot of repairs and will need more in the future. It's always a hunt when looking for your next Bass.

Good luck....... I'm sure something will turn up that suits you if you are patient and give it some time. Once you play an older Bass for a period of time like you have, it's hard to play a newer Bass.

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Yes. Barrie refers to it as a modified 7/8, in that the shoulders are slightly sloped down to access the high register a little easier. Nice deep ribs like a normal 7/8. Here's the link:
    http://kolstein.com/instruments/bass/b2507/index.shtml
    You can compare stats w/the Jakstadt from the Cellar's site. You might inquire though if the Panormo is still being produced with the older wood. He mentioned to me when those bodies are sold out, he was going to make it with regular seasoned wood. There are some other new quality models on the site that I tried out at the last ISB conf. that he's introduced since I bought mine. I liked the Chiericato and Maggini copies about as well as mine.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks for the input. I was browsing the bass cellar site (basscellar.com) and it looks like Andy has a bunch of 7/8's instruments right now. I believe I'll try to get over there, as there are plenty of similarly-sized instruments to compare the Jakstadt's to. The Juzeks on the site look like cool jazz instruments but probably wouldn't be much of a step up from what I have quality wise. However, they might have the sound!

Ken: I can see how having those sub contra lows would not be great for jazz, as the boominess might overwhelm the sustain/note center of the instrument for pizz. Good point!

7. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Jakstadts are beautiful instruments, but they vary quite a bit, so I highly recommend going over to Andy's and playing what he has in stock. I did just that, and I have had my Jakstadt for 10 years or so. My bass is quite dark. I originally used pirastro originals on my G and D, but had to switch to a brighter string because the sound was so dark. In terms of jazz pizz, I think that it depends on the sound that you are looking for. You won't get an Eddie Gomez sound, but it also doesn't sound like the proverbial dog house. Incidentally, I do have a wolf on my open A, but nothing that a wolf eliminator didn't solve. I have no problems whatsover with the size of the bass or thumb position. I am 6', however, and a smaller player may find the Jakstadt a little large. If you have specific questions, let me know.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That's interesting: I was under the assumption they were pretty bright and edgy. I guess soundwise I'm after a traditional bright jazzy sustain ala Ray Brown and the more contemporary players, Gomez included. I definitely need to just go check them out since they seem to vary somewhat tonally. I'm 5'11" so...I'm not concerned about getting around on a bigger bass, though I'm not a really big guy I'm big enough.

Will