Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jam advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kosso, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Kosso

Kosso

Nov 17, 2002
    hey everyone, I'm going to jam with this local guitarist (whos pretty good) in a few hours, and im kinda nervous. I havent been playing long (3 years) so I was wondering what advice you could give?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Don't sweat it. just ask what you need to know (Key, changes) or just jam on songs you both know. Just play, man.

3. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    A bit late in the response, I realize, but the most important thing is to play what you feel and have fun. As long as you enjoy what you're doing, it will be worth while.

4. Kosso

Kosso

Nov 17, 2002
    thanks for the advice, i'll give it a go.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you haven't played in three years, your biggest challenge may be getting blisters on your fingers right away. Another challenge may be speed and finger agility at first.

Go to the jam anyway. Having someone to jam with is a tremendous motivator. If you both get along, it may be the start of a whole new and exciting phase of your bass playing.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He said he has only been playing FOR 3 years.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Whoops! My bad. Well, then he ought to do very well. I hope he tells us how it went.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Listen.

Listen to what's going on around you. Listen most to the drummer right now, (if there is one, I can't remember).

Listen.

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    After reding that post over and over, you start to remind me of yoda :D

Anyway, just dont sweat it. Just listen, look, and learn. Ask him for the notes he is playing, or, if you have a good ear, learn it by ear. At te end of the day you wont end up worse for wear, believe-you-me. :D