Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jam Hand Signals?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Reverend Duke, May 13, 2003.

1. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    I used to have a webpage bookmarked that had a visual aid for the hand signals bands use during jam session (fingers up for sharps/down for flats, etc) I recently lost the link and the google search has come up empty.

Anyone help me?

Larry

2. e7h3r

e7h3r

Mar 28, 2002
    south africa
    members.tripod.com/~Rizal_L/handsigns.html

3. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    YES!!!

This is it!!

Thank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank you

:D

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    How do you use hand signals when you're playing? :confused:

LOL, the sharp hand signal could possibley be misinterpreted me thinks :D

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where's the one saying 'just listen to what I'm playing and pick it up by ear'? :rolleyes:

As Howard points out, there's the problem of finding a free hand... how about a chart of suggest body language positions to suggest the same things....?

Wulf

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, you could have all sorts of things...

A Michael Jackson style leg twist, the moonwalk even?
    ..or a groin thrust, or one of those spins like the kids from Fame did?!

I reckon facial signs would be better, winks, blinks, twitches etc... might be a bit of a problem when a soloist really let's go mind....

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LMFAO!

Imagine that, it would look like the band is having a fit!!

Groins randomly thrusting, legs flailing, winking, twitching...

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, that's what I pictured too... like a whole band full of Joe Cockers!!!

"Man, this band are great, but they sure as Hell cant dance!"

:D

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hahaha :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

From my experience of Jazz jams - these are aimed at soloists, like Sax and Trumpet and not rhythm section players.

So - everybody knows that Sax players are egomanics who really want to control everything and this is their way of trying to rein in the rhythm section, who don't need hand signals and can make changes by ear and musical cues! ;)

On a serious note in the big band I play in, our trombonist makes all the hand signals - so we have a few solo sections where it is 'open' and the section comes back on cue. Trombone is ideal as he is the loudest horn so if people miss a signal he can drown them out! ;)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    ...won't work :D

There is a quartet that I've done quite a few gigs with in the past, (their pianist kept cancelling on them, I stand in) - but, the thing is, they don't have a bass player... so, I am providing all the harmony :smug:

The sax players don't like soloing over the bridge of the girl from Ip, and they like me to just vamp over the A section for solos...

...but I don't, no matter how many hand signals they throw at me :D

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Yes, but what if the horn players are too lazy to give you any musical cues? Or want to modulate in half a bar?

13. yeah most of these would be great but i dont think many people at a gig would think that the singer flipping the bassist the middle finger would mean "sharp!", so some might not seem very professional like they do at first

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    this really brings a smile to my face.. i can just picture it!

the sharp note would register as a mistake to the audience, then they see sax player turn round and flip the bassist the bird.. excellent!

15. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    Okay guys...

actually here is another link to a different set of signals, that isn't so subject to misinterpretation...

http://www.ohek.co.uk/history/handsigns.htm

Anyway the people I play with don't use too many sharps or flats, and don't know key sigs very well either

:(

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

L

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've tried that last one, "Audience holding fingers in both ears", but it doesn't work... I now resort to earplugs.

What matters is not the details of the code but that everyone else you're playing with understands it!

Wulf

17. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Wow, thats so complex, for me, I just follow along, and when the leader looks at me n the drummer and gives me a nod kinda thing thats when we end :p

18. Bruce Lindfield

So - they only play diatonically in C Major or possibly A minor ? :confused:

;)

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ..maybe they could play in F or G and miss a note? :D

20. Bruce Lindfield

Errr...my D Minor is the relative minor key of F and has a Bb in it!! :confused: