1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Jam in E" Transcription Accuracy?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiF, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm currently trying to learn this but in some places in the transcription it seems a little off. For instance bar 3-4, the bit with the harmonics and the double stop bit. Anyone else found this.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    If you are working from a transcript then it is no longer a jam.

3. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    There is a book/DVD called "Jaco Pastorius:Modern Electric Bass". In it he does an improvisational piece that is named "Jam in E". There is a transcription of this in the accompanying booklet. You obviously weren't aware of this, either that or you are just being a smartass. Anyway, anyone who has any constructive comments to add to this thread, please feel free. I would be very grateful for positive and helpful replies.

4. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    do something smart : take a pic of the part with your phone and post it,is not like everyone know what you are talking about.
    Beside,looking at the part,everyone could help,not only those that have book/dvd.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    the transcriptions in that book are not 100% accurate. id use them as a guide and double check everything yourself

6. M_P5

M_P5

Dec 25, 2011
    I have that book, learned that pice 100% accurate here, really cool book ;D

7. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks shwashwa and M_P5 for your input.

Difference of opinion between you guys though. I'm pretty sure the notation for the harmonics is inaccurate. I was just wondering about the other stuff. What I have been doing is using the notation as a guide and listening really carefully to Jaco play it, then trying to figure out the correct way to play it.

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i got that book back in the 80's, so ive had some time with it. im not sure if mp5 was even born yet. havent looked at it in a while, but i remember that there were alot of places that werent 100% accurate. alot of it was rhythimic notation, but some notes too. that was written and transcribed in the days before CD and all the digital programs that exist today to slow things down without changing pitch. you could probably use some of that modern software to figure out exactly what he's playing pretty easily.

9. M_P5

M_P5

Dec 25, 2011
    The book i have is in digital format and i think my teacher might have changed some of the inaccurate info because it seems that it's all right here, gonna ask him to see if he did, and no i wasn't born in the 80's , sadly =(