JAM Lucydreamer or Red Muck

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skyisblue, Aug 10, 2022.

1. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    Hi all,

Want to ask your valuable opinions on JAM Lucydreamer and Red Muck, I have a Pike Amplification Vulcan bass OD but I feel the effect is not exactly what I wanted. On my pedalboard I have a boss OC-5 octave, envelope filter, chorus, delay and a reverb.

Lucydreamer seems to be quite versatile but maybe red muck is better for synthy sound with OC-5? Let me know which one you think is better to add to work with my board.

Thanks!

2. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    @skyisblue Hi, I ordered and received both Lucydreamer Bass (Overdrive) and Red Muck Bass (Fuzz, based on 71 triangle & Red Army / Civil War Big Muff circuits) exactly today so I'll try them and give some feedback but Big Muff is not an overdrive they are quite different and the Vulcan being an Overdrive, it looks logical to get a Lucydreamer but check out sounds around first

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    J R Knots likes this.
  3. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    Thanks so much! I have watched all the YouTube videos about the two pedals but still can't decide lol... I'd love to hear what you think about Lucydreamer and Red Muck! Still haven't decided if I want to get Vulcan out of my board. Let me know what you think!

4. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Alright @skyisblue I'll give you my opinion, waiting for other people feedback.
    I currently own Darkglass Alpha Omega as OD, Way Huge Pork & Pickle as Fuzz (Pickle side), Fuzzrocious Rat Tail as Rat Distortion, so I'll compare to them for my taste and equipment but had many others to have references of dirt (Darkglass B3K, Blackout Musket, Big Muff Pi, Bass Big Muff Pi, Tech21 Red Ripper, MXR Brown Acid, EQD Terminal, Acid Pig (Earthbound Audio Iron Pig)...)

skyisblue likes this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Can't comment on the Red Muck, but I've had the Lucydreamer Bass for a while (important note, there are 2 versions of the Lucydreamer. I'm talking about the Bass version.). It's a versatile unit with lots of gain on tap that allows you to set your OD sound and then have another one with more gain on the second FS. You can set the amount of gain that you add by using the second switch. There is a load of useful bass sounds in there. I quite liked it, but sold it because I preferred the SolidGoldFX Beta DLX and the SS/BS Mini.

skyisblue likes this.
  6. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    I don't know if you have any experience with Vulcan/Darkglass B3K kind of OD? I feel they are kind of on the vintage side and the range I can tweak is less than Lucydreamer (Never owned a Lucydreamer, just based on Youtube demos). Do you think Lucydreamer will be better in that aspect?

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The better overdrive is the one that sounds better to your ears, not mine. I've never liked any Darkglass sound. For my personal sound preferences, they are too high gain, too modern sounding - even the Vintage.

The Lucydreamer is a different animal. If you want to find out, you should try and get your hands on as many as possible. Buy some second hand, borrow what you can or check out if something like Thomann or Sweetwater have a decent "try at home - free return" policy you could make use of.

Killing Floor likes this.
  8. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    Got you, thanks! I currently live out of US and it is difficult for me to find a physical one so all I can do is to listen to different demos and see if I will order it from the dealer (The only sell online). Anyways, so far I like Lucydreamer a lot from the YouTube demos than my Vulcan.

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have a Lucydreamer (bass version). The less distorted side of it works well, but stock, I would never take that thing on stage - the other side, when you hit that switch, is just (for me) completely unusable - there is so much gain it's silly, and no way to dial it back. The footswitches are close enough to each other that I wouldn't take the chance that I might accidentally hit the "ugly sound/suck switch".

So...mine is modified. The lower gain side works, the higher gain side has been disabled. If you know electronics, it's not too hard to do, but if you don't, it's something I wouldn't recommend trying.

10. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Gold Supporting Member

May 14, 2020
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I haven't tried, so I don't know if it goes down far enough, but couldn't you just dial down the internal boost?

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Mine hat an internal trim pot that would allow you to set the amount of added gain.

Derek Williams likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Mine does as well, but it couldn't be set anywhere near as low as I'd want it.

13. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    Thanks for sharing! That’s a good point but I think the button thing is ok for me. How do you like the overdrive effect overall on the lower gain side?

14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany

It is a great low gain OD that is quite touch sensitive. You can easily dial in a sound that sounds clean when you play softly and roars when you dig in.

skyisblue likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's good, but I have a half dozen good overdrives on my shelf, and a couple on pedalboards at any given time. Every so often, I decide I want to try a different drive, and I do a shootout and decide on one to use for a while on one of my pedalboards. The Lucydreamer was good enough to make the shelf, but so far hasn't made it to a pedalboard. it may one day be just my thing, but..... so far, close, but not quite.

16. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I can speak to the Red Muck as it's all over the Freebassing album I recorded and it's still on my board. I have a unique set up as I only run the Red Muck through the low end using the Ric-O-Sound on my Ric. I'm able to blend it with a cleaner top end, I know this is probably the opposite of most, they'd leave the low end clear and muck up (pun intended) the top end, but it really works well for me. I can dial it in for what I'm looking for in that respect. It's super fuzzy and you can swing that either to the higher frequencies or lower. It works really well with the OC-2, so I'm sure it will play nice with the OC-5.

Without being too self promotional (unavoidable with the examples) you can hear it in a real song type setting on the following tracks off my record:

Bionic (blended in nicely)
    The Pull (slightly in there)
    Grit (full blown on and up)
    Sweet Thank You (gently balanced with the Jam Waterfall on vibrato . . . since you said you have a chorus)
    A Day at the ZoO (all over it in different parts of the tune)

The music is not everyone's cup of tea, so I get that. Listen at your own risk.

Here's a link to check it out and hear the Muck!

17. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    Wow, thanks a lot! It’s very inspiring to listen to the songs you listed and see how they are used in recordings! Thank you so much!

CGramazio likes this.
  18. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Glad it was a help. The Red Muck to me is a pedal worth trying. And thank you so much for listening to the tunes. We’re all just trying to make art after all.

skyisblue likes this.
  19. MisticoRitualista

MisticoRitualista Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2020
    I highly recommend the smallsound/bigsound mini

el murdoque likes this.
  20. skyisblue

skyisblue

Mar 24, 2021
    Thanks but the pedal selection range is pretty limited in the place I live...