Jam Master Jay of Run DMC dead at 37

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 31, 2002.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Oh, no! I have never been really hardcore into rap, but I think groups like Run DMC had it all over today's rappers. They were way, way more talented and had more to say than "bling, bling" and "I wanna take my clothes off."

As a tribute to Jay, I am going to listen to the only Run DMC song on my MusicMatch playlist -- "Christmas in Hollis."

3. That's not good. It's something I've always looked back on from when I was a kid, that and kids with rediculous hair cuts.... but yeah, sad news.
  4. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I never got real into rap, but I thought Run DMC was pretty cool. Its a shame he got killed. People are f'in stupid. Christmas in Hollis is sweet song. People are stupid....
  5. Of all the rap groups that this could happen to, it had to happen to one of the only ones I liked.

6. I totally agree with that. Why couldn't they shoot nelly or P.Diddy;)
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow starclown, I know you had a wink icon there, but that comment went beyond bad taste.:(

RIP Jam Master Jay. My brother saw the Aerosmith/Run DMC concert earlier this year in NY and they even played "Walk This Way" it was awesome he said.

Very sad news.
  8. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    DAG!...Not cool. RIP....My heart goes out to his family and bandmates.

Philbiker was right, starclown, that was very bad taste indeed :rolleyes:
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :( :(

That sucks. R.I.P.
  10. i was in complete shock when i read that in the paper this morning. the man was only 37... and he was a true pioneer among dj's. absolutely terrible.

love em or hate em, run dmc were a historical milestone in popular music. personaly i thought they were amazing. growing up a white boy in the sticks i had never heard anything like that before. they really changed my perspective on music.

from everything i've ever heard of those cats, they were VERY anti violence/gangsta bull. i wonder what the circumstances behind this were, and i pray to god they catch the piece of crap that did it.

11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think that Run DMC was the first rap group that I could name. I loved the video they did with Penn and Teller, they never took themselves too seriously which was cool.
  12. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I dont think starclowns comment went beyond bad taste.. i found it amusing.. someone needs to take pimp juice off the radio.. butya know it would suck because if someone shot nelly.. they would hype him up as the next tupac.. which he doesn't even come close to.. and im not going to talk about P.rock.. or Peepee... or Pen*s diddy..or whatever he calls him self now.. next it will be Master Puff or Master P... yeah... hmm
    that sucks about Jam Master Jay. He was awesome, they simply ruled. This is real sad
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It was such a shock to get up this morning, sit down to the newspaer and read with horror that Jam Master Jay had been murdered. Furthermore, of ALL the rappers in history, any member of RunDMC would have been the last I would have thought could succumb to a senseless violent death. As I understand it, Jay was supposed to have a concert toniight in D.C.

And more, I had no idea he was only 37. My sons just loved Run DMC. In fact, because of that, they were the first rap group that really reached my radar. Then, of course, the Aerosmith collaboration kept tehm in my consciousness.

Now this tragedy. I guess I just can't comprehend why rappers are so often the victims of violent crime. It appears as if NO RAPPER is immune form death by gun or knife. It may be time for that community to take charge and try to change the violentr environment of their groups because such a high death rate among them is so senseless and such a waste of talent and humanity. And yet, Jam Master was not a gangtsa rapper as I recall. I don't remember that rap had taken that far harsher turn when RunDMC was at its height.

Anyway, RIP, Jam Master Jay. Your time ended way too soon.
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is sad, I heard it on the news this morning.. Even though I wasn't a fan, Run DMC were pretty cool:(
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Man oh man another senseless killing in the rap world, I heard it was execution style (Gang related)
    That's sad, I think Boplicity said it best that there is no imunity from gun violence in the rap world.

R.I.P J.M.J

16. there's no immunity from gun violence in the entire world.

17. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Kinda ironic, ain't it? From what I've heard, they were against the violence for whole their careers and then one of them gets shot in the head. :(