1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jam nights; take your favorite bass, a clunker, or use the house guy's?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OogieWaWa, Mar 23, 2019.

1. My favorite, the good one

71 vote(s)
    33.5%
  2. A good bass, but not my prime instrumen

92 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. I'll use the host band's axe

33 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. I don't go to jam nights but if I did....

39 vote(s)
    18.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I go to a lot of jam nights in my local area for fun and fellowship with local musicians, and when I travel I always seek out something that the locals are doing, usually blues nights. Like I found four in the Daytona, FL area this winter.

I'm curious: For folks that like to do that kind of thing, which bass do you use?

-Take your favorite, the one you gig with regularly, the best sounding?

-Or take a "sacrificial" bass that may not be as good, but you won't cry if something minor happens to it. (It's never good when something bad happens to any bass.)

-Or take the easiest, safest route, and just play whatever the host band guy brings?

For our area, a lot of the locals that show up are the "local legends", so I usually take my main instrument (a G&L L2K 30th Anniversary.) Most do bring good or new stuff to 'show it off'. So I know I'm in good company, and know I'll always learn something new. Most have been playing for 40 years or more, and I'm only at 12 or so.

When I travel I also take the favorite so I can practice and not get too rusty, like just now coming back from two months in Florida, and I've got a gig tonight.

Thanks for your thoughts!

ChrisP3, donkeydon and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. My 2 basses are of equal quality/value, so whichever tickles me that night! I'm kinda picky so I wont count on playing a loaner.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I'd do a good set up and possibly replace the pickups/pre-amp on the "sacrificial" bass to get it playing and sounding good. Make it my backup bass.

Anything can happen so I wouldn't risk my gig bass.

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'll take a less expensive instrument of mine, at least that way you know what you're gonna get, even if just setup-wise.

Some instruments are virtually unplayable if you're picky like me. The host may have a vastly different perspective on a good setup, and then you're stuck being uncomfortable with it.

5. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I co-host an open mic regularly, from April through January 1st. I always bring my favorite gigging bass, a Fender p/j four string. I will let anyone play my bass as long as they don't abuse it, or my amp. Lately I've been playing a fiver, but for open mic, I will bring my p/j. Occasionally I will bring something else, but I have a few friends that will use my gear so I try to bring something in the norm. If I was to play at someone else's open mic I would bring whatever I felt like playing that day.
    I wouldn't count on the host letting me use their gear.

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    An $80 Ammoon off Ebay. Because inevitably someone of various alcohol level wills ask to play your 11k Fodera. Thanks SBL! :)

ChrisP3, Marikk, JoshS and 3 others like this.
  7. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Anecdotal incident; at the one place they guy let me play his all-original '72 P. It was, uh, OK I guess.

Good answers so far, guys and gals, thanky kindly!

8. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    I'll take whichever one I feel like playing, even if I'm hosting - that's what they're for.

I would never show up without a bass and assume it is OK to play the host bassist's bass, but if he volunteers it I might take him up on it. Around here that's generally not done unless the two players know each other fairly well.

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Second that, i don’t expect to play the host’s bass.

There may be some swapping and “here, try this” but I bring my own.

And I don’t have a beater, what’s the point in that?

10. Here, it's opposite. Use the host bassist's bass, don't waste time on switching. Too much hassle.

zac2944 and kodiakblair like this.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've played in host bands at jams for over 20 years. I do not offer my bass for use unless it's someone I know well.

12. For a jam night I'll play anything handed to me. These things are "go with the flow" .

funkinbottom likes this.
  13. I'll take my favorite and never ever share.

donkeydon, smeet, Pops OB and 4 others like this.
  14. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I'd take an instrument of good playability but of lesser value.

admh1972 and TheReceder like this.
  15. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

43787ADF-ACA2-411C-898D-F601CFE69B3B. LOL. None of the above. Tonight I’m taking my wife’s bass; an Ibanez Soundgear GSR 200. She bought this before we met, but she doesn’t play it. She recently said she wants to give it another go, so I pulled it out of its gig bag and did a setup on it (hasn’t been played in at least 7+ years). After the setup, it sounds and plays amazing! I’m gonna change out the ancient Fender steel rounds for light gauge GHS pressure rounds. Should be a little slap monster!

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Use theirs first. If no good, never again.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'd take my fave to the local jams where I know the people and take a sacrificial bass to a new place where I didn't know the setup.

18. smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Jul 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I take whatever I feel like playing. If it's a jam I've never been to, I leave the bass in the trunk and check out the scene. I never expect to be able to use someone else's instrument.

19. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    For a while now (13 years) I had only one bass and although it wasnt the best bass i've owned and now that i own higher quality instruments it doesnt get played much, i take that Ibanez Sound Gear 1000 SOL to jams at a local joint. I leave it on the floor whenever i am not playing and i dont have to worry about it. now it feels like a toy with that slim neck and thin body and the 34'' scale.

20. There's a host bass? Never at any jam night I've attended.

donkeydon, admh1972, IamGroot and 2 others like this.