Jam Session Primer by Bill Anschell

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Ben Rose, May 9, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
  2. Good grief ... the author must have been at our last session :eek:

Enjoyed that :D thanks Ben!

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Fun read! It also explains why I'll never be a good jazz drummer.

4. bassist (digging in): Grrrhh. Gnmnt. Glppnt.

5. OK Arto, I used to go to the jam session at Storyville in Helsinki when I worked there for a few months in 1993-94. I remember a pretty lady pianist with long red hair who always played If I Were a Bell. Is the club still happening? How about the club in the train station?

6. Hey, EE

Storyville is alive and kickin ( http://www.storyville.fi ).
    Sorry, they don´t seem to have pages in English, which I find very strange, considering how many tourists visit them, especially in the summertime.
    I´ve played there, our next gig with the octet will be on June,
    with Steve Gibbons from UK.
    The program is mostly "happy jazz", not exactly my style, that´s why I´m not regular there.
    In 1993 - 94 the only club near train station was Jumo Jazz club, these days known as Jumo Jazz House. They have moved their location, but are still in the business. It´s the home club of UMO Jazz Orchestra, the best known Finnish big band.
    Can´t recall the lady pianist. What age was she back then?

R2

7. <The program is mostly "happy jazz", not exactly my style, that´s why I´m not regular there.>

Not much of a "happy" fan myself but the jam session did some mor e bop oriented stuff. There also was a lady accordian player who did standards. I'm not much of an accordian fan but she was a good musician, if not a jazz player.

<It´s the home club of UMO Jazz Orchestra, the best known Finnish big band.>

Yea, Jumo. I have a CD of the UMO Jazz Orchestra. Good stuff. I saw Freddie Hubbard at the club and also Hal Crook (trombone), who was great. I also remember a vocalist named Mirja Makela who had a great band and some progressive ideas.

<Can´t recall the lady pianist. What age was she back then?>

The lady pianist looked to be in her 20's. I was under the impression that some of the conservatory students came to the jam -- lots of young faces at the time.