Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jam Session Primer by Bill Anschell

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Ben Rose, May 9, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
  2. Good grief ... the author must have been at our last session :eek:

Enjoyed that :D thanks Ben!

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Fun read! It also explains why I'll never be a good jazz drummer.

4. bassist (digging in): Grrrhh. Gnmnt. Glppnt.

5. OK Arto, I used to go to the jam session at Storyville in Helsinki when I worked there for a few months in 1993-94. I remember a pretty lady pianist with long red hair who always played If I Were a Bell. Is the club still happening? How about the club in the train station?

6. Hey, EE

Storyville is alive and kickin ( http://www.storyville.fi ).
    Sorry, they don´t seem to have pages in English, which I find very strange, considering how many tourists visit them, especially in the summertime.
    I´ve played there, our next gig with the octet will be on June,
    with Steve Gibbons from UK.
    The program is mostly "happy jazz", not exactly my style, that´s why I´m not regular there.
    In 1993 - 94 the only club near train station was Jumo Jazz club, these days known as Jumo Jazz House. They have moved their location, but are still in the business. It´s the home club of UMO Jazz Orchestra, the best known Finnish big band.
    Can´t recall the lady pianist. What age was she back then?

R2

7. <The program is mostly "happy jazz", not exactly my style, that´s why I´m not regular there.>

Not much of a "happy" fan myself but the jam session did some mor e bop oriented stuff. There also was a lady accordian player who did standards. I'm not much of an accordian fan but she was a good musician, if not a jazz player.

<It´s the home club of UMO Jazz Orchestra, the best known Finnish big band.>

Yea, Jumo. I have a CD of the UMO Jazz Orchestra. Good stuff. I saw Freddie Hubbard at the club and also Hal Crook (trombone), who was great. I also remember a vocalist named Mirja Makela who had a great band and some progressive ideas.

<Can´t recall the lady pianist. What age was she back then?>

The lady pianist looked to be in her 20's. I was under the impression that some of the conservatory students came to the jam -- lots of young faces at the time.