1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JAM WaterFall Bass VS Anadime Bass Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mouthmw, Sep 10, 2020.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm looking into getting a chorus pedal.

I'm kind of torn between these 2 chorus pedals. They both sound great to me in the demos, but it's hard to get a full grasp on how it will end up working for me, and there's not that many demos of em.

I want a nice, lush chorus, that can do the 80s thing and a more subtle thing. Vibrato is a nice addition on the WaterFall too, which could be useful for certain psychedelic/experimental passages. I don't want a chorus that disappears in the mix, and I've heard that MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe is often too subtle to some people, for instance.

Right now I'm leaning slightly towards WaterFall, but if anyone has experience with both of these, let me know, thanks.

2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Why don't you try a Walrus Julianna/Julia v.2 or a GFI Synesthesia?

Rolling Thunder likes this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Julia is a mellow chorus, not really that 80s sound. Synthesesia is bigger than I want, and it's digital. I just want a nice, simple analog chorus.

Driven Crane likes this.
  4. I like that real 80s chorus sound too. Not too interested in being super subtle about it lol. I used the TC Corona and Boss CE-2W for a while. Both are good for bass. CE-2W needs to be run in the CE-1 mode in order to keep the low end, but that's the better sounding mode anyway so no problem there. That being said, I recently ordered a CEB-3 because I've found that chorusing the whole signal destabilizes the fundamental too much for me. You have that point where the vibrato crosses the dry and it sort of cancels out for a sec. So every cycle of the chorus you have a certain number of notes that don't support the band as well. The crossover on the CEB-3 seems like it'll solve that issue so I'm hopeful about that. Judging by the videos on youtube it sounds really good too, even more Jaco-ish than the CE-2W.

mouthmw likes this.
  5. Figured I'd report back since the CEB-3 just got here yesterday. Played with it basically all day and a good chunk of today too. I really like it. It's kind of ingenious apparently because, shockingly, I not only like it more for bass than my CE-2W, I like it more for guitar too. Never would have expected that. I play both, and I have a thing where I want my board to be just as good for guitar as it is for bass. I thought I'd be breaking that rule by switching to the CEB-3, but turns out it's brilliant on guitar. So yea I'm super happy about that.

The pedal works best with the Low Filter completely counter clockwise (fully Cut) and the Effect Level all the way clockwise (maxed out). This feels like how the pedal is designed to work by default, almost like how the ODB-3 is designed to start at 0 gain, not noon as many people assume. With the Low Filter all the way to Cut it preserves both the low end and fundamental note perfectly. I keep the Depth right at noon and the Rate at about 11:00. It's worth mentioning that it's definitely a more subtle chorus sound on bass than I'm used to having. But then, I've never gotten along with what I'm used to having, which is what drove me to buy this pedal. The more I play it the more I like how it gives a subtle shimmer on the low notes and an increasingly lush and indulgent chorus on higher notes. The pedal handles that really well and I think I'm going to enjoy it more than the more obvious choruses I've used in the past. As an added bonus, this exact setting is what works best on guitar too. The entire frequency range of a guitar goes right over the Low Filter's head, so it doesn't filter anything out and you get the beautiful, full frequency chorus you want. I'd also add that there's no volume boost like you get with the CE-2W's CE-1 mode (which is the mode that bass players use since it preserves more low end).

Turning the Low Filter clockwise results in some oddness. There's an assortment of weird, out-of-phase sounding tones that could be situationally useful. Something about the way the chorusing is applied to more of the low end actually causes a loss of low end in some positions. Curiously enough as you approach fully clockwise there's a fairly big bass boost, and the sound widens out in almost a faux-stereo kind of way. It's neat, but you lose some stability and it almost feels like a gentle tremolo on your high notes.

I'm quickly taking quite a liking to this pedal. It really has a lovely, nostalgic sound to it. I've never used chorus as an "always on" effect, but this pedal has me thinking about it since it seems to know exactly when to get out of your way and when to let itself shine a little more.

mouthmw likes this.
  6. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    One of my favorite bassist is Anthony Jackson who uses the Waterfall. So because of that I did buy the Waterfall and its the best chorus I have. I never tried the Anadime. I did use or still have the EBS black label, TC stereo pitch flanger, Boss CEB-3, Tech 21 Chorus, a few others that I may not had bought but tried. There is some really nice pedals out there. But Im sticking with the Waterfall. They were using vintage chips but I heard they found a company that makes that same chip. Hand Made and painted. Love it.

mouthmw likes this.
  7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yeah I'm still leaning towards Waterfall, I'll most likely grab it. I love the simple controls, the tone (from the demo) and the looks of it.

Bassist30 likes this.
  8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Its a great Chorus. A modern version of the Boss chorus of the 80's.

mouthmw likes this.
  9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    That's what it reminds me of, like a wetter version of the old CE-2. The controls are also pretty much the same (+ switches). At least that's what it sounded like on a guitar comparison with CE-2, but I bet the bass version brings that same awesomeness to bass.

Bassist30 likes this.
  10. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    They did for the bass model. Which is why there are two version one for guitar and one for bass. The bass will not make certain notes sound closed up.

mouthmw likes this.
  11. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I own both. They’re both really good. The HPF really works well to tighten up higher depth settings on the Anadime. I feel like the Anadime is the punchier of the 2 and the Waterfall is thicker and warmer. I also feel like the Anadime has more of a smooth waveform whereas the a Waterfall has a more pronounced triangle wave. Because of this, I wouldn’t expect VB-2 like vibrato when you’re in vibrato mode. The VB-2 is definitely a lot smoother when it comes to vibrato.

mouthmw likes this.
  12. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Jam make a waterfall phaser combo. Have not heard but seems interesting.

13. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Oh by the way when you do get it.....review please. I think although slightly expensive but hand made and hand painted.... Nice. Sounds great to me. Go on their site...Not bad.

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Which one of the two do you prefer personally? Would you say one works better than the other in the band mix?

15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Sure, I guess I could do a quick review. I'm in no super hurry to grab it right now though, I'm sort of hunting an amp at the moment, but who knows, might grab a chorus first.

16. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Good Luck.

mouthmw likes this.
  17. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    My personal preference is the Anadime and I feel like it’s slightly better in a mix due to the HPF control. However, the Waterfall doesn’t have any problem in the mix and I feel like it would be more of what you’re looking for.

mouthmw likes this.
  18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    They both are voiced quite differently, aren't they?
    I tried a waterfall once and liked it quite a bit but I generally like providence pedals as well.

If I had to get one of these two now it would be the waterfall; NOT because I think it is the better of the two, but because to my ear its' voice is further from what i can do with what I already have. ( Shallow water does a nice chorus, and the A/DA pbf flanger gets close enough too)

mouthmw likes this.
  19. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    The anadime is a very thick sounding chorus. Keeping the depth knob low is key to getting usable sounds out of it.

mouthmw likes this.
  20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Thanks for the help everyone. I bet both of these are awesome pedals and either would do a great job.
    I just went with what really caught my eyes/ears from the start, so I ordered a JAM Waterfall Bass.
    Once I have a little playtime with it, I'll post my thoughts here.