1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf - Who's the Bigger Bust?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 27, 2010.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Since JaMarcus Russell's release from the Raiders appears to be imminent, I thought this was timely. By bigger bust of course I don't mean bigger in weight -- although that's debatable too -- but, you know.

I'm going with Leaf. Granted he was the 2nd pick while JaMarcus was the 1st, but as far as I know JaMarcus hasn't been a complete tool like Leaf was during his time in the NFL. JaMarcus is just criminally lazy. JaMarcus embarrassed his franchise with his play on the field, but Leaf embarrassed his team both on and off the field.

Not to mention Leaf is still getting in trouble... stealing pain meds from some of the kids he was coaching or some such. JaMarcus I figure is just gonna kinda ooze away and some day he'll be 400 lbs with a heart condition living under a bridge someplace... but at least he won't be doing no one no harm.

So Leaf is the winner (loser).

Of course I am open to contrary arguments.

2. I may be mistaken, but with all of money the Raiders guaranteed Russell, he'd have to make some seriously bad financial choices to be living under a bridge. His guaranteed salary is/was higher than even some of the best performing QBs in the league.

Edit: Just checked wikipedia. $31.5 million in guarantees. I wish I could underperform at a job for a few years and make that much. :eek:

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Jr, I know what you're saying, but it's amazing how these pro athletes can burn through obscene amounts of money and wind up almost literally on the street.

Google "Derrick Coleman bankrupt" to see what I mean.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    hard choice. Living out here in the Bay area, it's hard not to see Russell as the bigger bust, but I don't know the details about Leaf, and from the sound of things, he could be the winning loser.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Funny thing about JaMarcus... Mike Mayock is a TV guy (ESPN or NFL Network, can't remember) whose talent evaluation skills are so strong he has been offered jobs by several NFL teams. Anyway, he said that JaMarcus Russell's pro day workout was the best he had seen by any QB, ever.

Just goes to show, you never really know, I guess.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    A brilliant audition does not guarantee a reliable band member... :D

7. Yeah, that's why I never care to see anything about "draft grades" or what have you. You can never really gauge how successful a prospect is until they've proven it out on the field. Nobody batted an eye when guys like Russell, Leaf, Tim Couch, or David Carr were all #1 or #2 draft picks in their respective years.

Both Leaf and Russell were considered by a large number of major writers and scouts as being sure things in the NFL. Some of the same writers and scouts thought the Colts were stupid for taking some guy named Peyton Manning instead of Leaf with their #1 pick in 1998.

8. Bet those guys have their foot deep down in their mouth by now.

lowsound

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Ow! Ow! Please! Make it stop! Make it stop!

My personal opinion, any NFL GM in this day and age that drafts a QB in the Top 5 is a blooming idiot and should be fired on the spot. And that includes the guy that drafted Sam Bradford #1 this year, who may turn into a good QB but no way in hell was the best player in this draft or even among the Top 10.

There's a reason only 2 QBs were drafted in the 1st round this year. They weren't that good. And it's debatable whether even Tebow belonged in the 1st round. Just because a QB is the best QB in a given draft class, does not de facto make him worthy of the #1 overall pick. I can't believe there are still GMs in the NFL who don't get this.

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I think I'll have to go with Ryan, although JaMarcus is truly awful.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Until Russell completely flames out, I'm going with Leaf.

-Mike

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm curious to see if anyone and I mean anyone picks JaMarcus up.

No team is gonna pick up a penny of that contract. After that it's a question of whether they want to gamble a roster spot or not.

Most former #1 QB picks get at least one more chance to redeem themselves but with this guy, I'm not so sure.

He may wind up being the Darryl Dawkins of the NFL... unearthly talent, gone to waste.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    He'll finish his career as a Saint. Won't be the starting QB, but he'll hold a clipboard for the vet minimum so he can wrap up his career near home.

-Mike

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    MJ, could be. He'll watch Drew Brees - who has 1/10th the physical ability but 10x the work ethic - win a 2nd SuperBowl and wonder where it all went wrong for him.

15. Wouldn't surprise me. Hell, David Carr still has a job as the 3rd string QB for the Niners. How that guy still keeps getting signed is beyond me.

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    IMHO, 3rd string QB in the NFL is the best job in the world. You make more money than a lot of CEOs. The only time you ever really work is in training camp and practice on the scout team. You hardly ever get hit, and you still get to bang hot chix who don't know any better by telling them you're an NFL quarterback.

Invest well, show just enough to keep getting re-signed, and you get to retire by age 30, set for life with your health intact and some great stories to tell your grandkids and drinking buddies. Effin awesome.

17. Wouldn't that math make them play exactly the same ;)

lowsound

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    It'll NEVER happen. There's too many ties in this area to the Saints organization for that to happen. It's well known around his home town here that he went in to Day 1 with the goal of doing absolutely nothing. He wanted the guaranteed money and nothing more. That's the only reason he held out so long on his signing.

19. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Unfortunately, due to JaMarcus' awful playing Charlie Frye didn't quite get to ride it out this way and ended up badly concussed to end the season. What's truly pathetic is that in the two games he played he was STILL light years better than DumbMarcus (who, after getting shown up by both bench QB's didn't feel like he needed to attend the final team meeting, and booked rooms in Vegas instead).

I'll also agree with Leaf as bigger bust, but maybe they should have spots of equal infamy rather than claiming one sucks worse than the other.

20. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    As a Raiders fan - Leaf. The Chargers front office and F-A-N-S deserve that despicable honor! Common I never saw JaMarcus fall down intentionally, just to piss off his O-line. Granted, JaMarcus fell down alot but it was due to the extra weight.