Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jamaroqui

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Mar 4, 2001.

1. i was listening to them and i heard some good bass work, i was wondering who he was. Anyone know what im talkin about?

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    depends what songs you're listening to, man. anything after "Return of the Space Cowboy" is Nick Fyffe, their new bass player, who's not nearly as good as Stuart Zender was (an ex-drummer, he plays on all of their "older" stuff and he's AWESOME i agree - one of my inspirations). He quit because there was some falling out between himself and Jay Kay (the poofy lead singer guy).
    BRING BACK STU !!!!! :(

3. i went to college with Nick Fyffe - that's my claim to fame...
    also to correct the above, I don't think Fyffe has released any studio work with Jamiroquai yet. He's rummoured to be working on the next album with JK... imagine the royalties!!! Woo-hoo!

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Actually, I'm sure that Stuart Zender played on the album Travelling With Moving, and left after that. I've got that album, and Stuart is a good player - nice tone, too. I think he left because his wife, who's in a British band called All Saints (Don't know if anyone's heard of them) was pregnant. The last thing I heard of him, he produced a few of the songs on the All Saint's last album.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - Jamiroquai released 3 albums with Stuart Zender up to "Travelling without Moving" - which has some great basslines from Stuart which at times really make the songs.

But the dispute came around the recording of their 4th album "Synkronized" - it's ironic that arther mentions royalties as this is what I think it was about. Jay Kay writes all the songs with Toby the keyboard player and I think Stuart wanted more of his own input into the composing and more recognition for how much his basslines add to their sound. Also Jay was experimenting more with "drum 'n bass" influences and programmed drums/bass.

Well these were all the rumours in the music press and (UK) bassist magazine at the time anyway!

On "Synkronized" Nick Fyffe is credited with bass but on most of the tracks I can hardly hear any "real" bass and it's mostly buried under synth bass. He has appeared with them live a few times and I have seen him play the new stuff on TV. No doubt he's a good player but not as distinctive as Zender - but then maybe he's not "allowed" to be!!

The other rumour was that the band recorded the whole of this last album with Zender but they "fell out" and so Jay deleted all his parts from the tapes and replaced them with synth. The result to me anyway is that this album ends up sounding their worst and not a patch on the previous three, (I've got all of them)with Jay Kay coming across more and more as a control freak - expect Jamiroquai to disappear in the near future and for him to release solo albums so the band don't get any say at all! :rolleyes:

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Zender is cool, but I read somewhere that he quit Jamiroquai because Jay is an a$$hole..

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, that shows how long it's been since I listened to my Jamiroquai album! I put it on today, and couldn't hear the bass at all, even on my bottom-heavy CD player with the bass boost. (Just how I like it, baby!) Funny, I remember hearing a really low, fat bass. Sounds like Jay Kay never thought too much of Stuart's contributions!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    VH-1 just did a feature on TWO Hit Wonders; Jamiroquai was mentioned as being a pretty hot band that fizzled out(abruptly, too).
    Why? 'Cause they released a Disco tune in the US(I forget the name of the "3rd hit-to-be").
    Anyway, the very first time I heard them, I thought, "...damn, that's Disco with a Stevie Wonder-wannabe singer".
    And I should know 'cause I played many a Disco tune back then! ;)
    FWIW, I do/did dig(say that 3x's!)Jamiroquai's retro-'70s vibe.

9. Bruce Lindfield

In the UK, Jamiroquai were very much associated with what was called the "Acid Jazz" phenomenon, which also included bands like Brand New Heavies and Incognito amongst other. Although Jay is a bit of an egotist, he does have a good musical background and ear - he seems to choose good musicians. A lot of the sax and trumpet players I see at "genuine" Jazz gigs at my local Jazz club have played with Jamiroquai and these are very good players. There was a time when Jamiroquai and Brand New Heavies seemed to be keeping the majority of young Jazz musicians in the black - but Jay now seems to be more interested in programmed music.

10. A friend of mine auditioned for that job in Jamiroquai when Stuart left, I think he might be glad he missed it now.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Actually I can hear all the baslines on "Travelling without moving" very clearly and have tried playing/transcribing most of them - classic disco (as JimK says) but funkier and heavier.

I'm sure I remember "Bassist" magazine saying that "Alright" from this album was their most-requested transcription ever!

12. the bassline to "Deeper Underground" is great fun to play - my Zoom 506 gets that fuzz sound brilliantly:D
    I don't know exactly what's on the original (fuzz guitar, synth, bass fuzz+ octaver) but I know Stuart Zender used a Boss multi-effects unit.

having Jay Kay as your boss sounds like a nightmare to me though.............

13. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Stuart Zender is a truly talented bass player , he has been an inspiration always , but since he left jamiroqui (who used to be one of my favourite bands) I have'nt bought any of the new stuff. His sound was unique because he played various warwick's (amps + basses) and used several effect pedals.Zender and the drummer were the foundation to the band and offered great skill. The brand new heavies bassist is also great (Andrew Levy) who played on the first Jamiroqui LP. Jamiroqui have gone down since the departure of Zender ,the new bassist is good but Zender provided that trademark sound which cannot be duplicated.

14. Bruce Lindfield

I think that Zender's sound was more to do with the way he played - in his fingers, rather than any effects or amps. He started off with different basses and moved to the Warwick Streamers with which he is associated, but his sound is always similar and fairly "clean" - a lot of times in Jamiroquai though, the bassline is "doubled" with keyboards which might give the impression of effects.

As I mentioned this is probably the reason for the split during the making of the one album to have appeared without Zender - obviously every line was doubled and a lot of tracks have a programmed rhythm section credited to Toby the keyboard player. I think as a bass player, this would annoy the hell out of me and is something that happened to Jaco on Weather Report's "Mr. Gone" and may have contributed to his desire to go solo, in the same way that it has apparently done with Stuart Zender !

15. there was an interview in BP with Zender where he went into detail about how he used the stereo outputs on his Boss multi-effects unit - splitting the effected and clean sounds and panning them separately in the mix on tracks like "travelling without moving".

16. Andrew Levy of the Brand New Heavies played on the first track from Jamiroquai's first album. Stuart Zender played on the rest of that album and on the next two. On the fourth and current album, Nick fyffe plays on four songs, the rest of the basslines were played by a keyboardist. Stuart Zender did use effects in Jamiroquai. He used an envelope filter sometimes, and he sometimes used a synth effect split in stereo left, clean in the center, and fuzz/flange right... (at least something to that effect, I can't remember the specifics. It was rumored that Bootsy was going to guest on the next album, but Jason kay (the vocalist) accused him of "stealing his hooks" and nixed it...c'mon man....

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I know how he feels... that charlatan Jaco ripped me off, with inferior versions of my riffs and hooks! Still, I had so much trouble trying to get Lennon and McCartney to acknowledge my contribution to their songs, I didn't even bother suing him or anything... :rolleyes:

18. Bruce Lindfield

If anybody had bothered to read my post carefully I wasn't saying that he never used effects, but rather that what characterised his sound, was primarily the way he played, rather than any particular effects.

I've seen him live a few times and the sound has been very clean and the point I was making was that there are a lot of tracks on Jamiroquai albums with a clean bass sound and it's still characteristically "his" sound.

I don't think if any of the contributors to this threas used the same effects that they would sound anything like Stuart Zender!!

I think you have to take each album though and by the third one a lot of effects are being used all round, but on the first two it is much more sparing. If we take "Return of the Space Cowboy" - there are 11 tracks and #1 and #8 clearly have an effect on bass - sort of auto-wah on the first track. Track 10 clearly has a synth bass part at the start and no "real" bass.

But that's 3 out of 11 - for the other 8 tracks the sounds is very clean and clear. If you take "Manifest Destiny" #5 - it starts with a bass solo, which is one of the cleanest bass sounds I've heard on a record - listen to this track and you can hear the pure Zender tone and playing - I would challenge anybody who says there are any effects on this and most of the album goes for a very clean sound.

19. Yeah, that fretless solo you are talking about is really good...That whole album is a nice showcase of his style-all those little bends and slides that are so hard to reproduce...Just imagine how many effects the poor new guy has to use when he plays the new stuff live though...I've seen pictures of zender with an 8 string warwick ( four string with doubled octaves), but I am not sure if he recorded with the thing....