1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jamerson/Funk Bros/Temptations...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bondtana, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    Just uploaded this one. Great stuff. Got a few seconds of the hook in there too.

This is the only video of the funk brothers in studio that I have seen... Is there anything else out there?

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I don't know, but that was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very very cool!!
    What suprised me the most is the fact that everyone is well dressed. Musicians even wear a tie!

4. Very cool. Thx! Where'd you find this? Is there more?

5. Very cool. Must have more!!!!!

6. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    What a great clip! Thanks for that.

Please tell us you have more!!!

7. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    I wish I did have more, unfortunately I dont. This isnt from any secret stash or anything lol. It was on a Temptations Definitive Performances DVD I bought from Best Buy. I think it was released for the Motown 50th Anniversary.

There HAS to be some other video like this laying around elsewhere... :ninja:

8. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    I JUST read the liner notes of the DVD, some more interesting notes...

Given the fact that Motown had not been conducting "Live" sessions with the vocalists and instrumentalists recording at the same time since at least 1963, this "session" was clearly staged for the CBS News cameras that were doing a brief piece called "The Motown Sound". Pictured in the studio are songwriters Lamont Dozier (Standing on the steps at the back of the studio), Brian Holland (The guy who cuts in on the band), Ivy Jo Hunter (Does the countdown), Russ Terrana (The engineer standing up), James Jamerson on Bass, Earl Van Dyke on piano, Bobbye Hall on congas, and from left to right on guitars Robert White, Joe Messina and Eddie Willis. The "arranger", wearing headphones and conducting the band, is William Witherspoon. To the best of my knowledge this incredibly rare piece of film is the only one of two pieces of footage ever shot at a session inside the studio known as the "Snakepit".

9. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    VERY cool...thanks!

10. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Great video, thanks for the upload!

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Exactly my conjecture when seeing the clip for the first time on another forum this morning. They always recorded the vocals separately from what I understood. Notice the sound is very different quality from ordinary Motown tracks, probably just a mic in the middle of the room.

Thanks for the great clip!

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I saw her.

Question: Where's Carol?
    :ninja:

13. shamus63

shamus63

Dec 17, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    Very cool!

OT: I was just down in The Snakepit about 4 years while in Detroit for my brother's wedding. Looks pretty much the same, so you feel like you've stepped back in time when you enter it.

14. way cool. thanks :)