1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jamerson motown tabs (GP or other)

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I am looking for all the good motown stuff featuring James, if possible as Guitar Pro files, but anything will do, even regular sheet music, I can decipher that.

I am in a motown mood.

Thanks!

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    I'm guessing you've tried the SITSOM book?

Also on Youtube there's a guy called Jamerson's Hook who has done lots of great James playalongs - that is if he's not been taken down in the way Marlowe has! (which totally sucks!)

3. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    perfect time to work on your ear training/transcribing.

4. That is what I am going to do, actually.

Jamerson repeats a long and none of it is actually super technical, but are more complex than they sound. They're just those simple but complex types of bass lines, if you see what I mean.

I also ordered the book aforementioned on Amazon, I think I will listen and transcribe and then use the book to check and correct.

5. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
  6. Bass301

Bass301

Jul 13, 2008
    Also an important element for any bassline is the vocal melody line, which SITSOM does not include.

Understanding Jamerson does not really come alive until seeing and hearing how all three parts work together --- vocals, drums, bass.

Look to books Motown Bass Classics, R&B Bass Bible, Motown Bass Signature Licks which include vocal melody line.

Insert bassline and drum line ( 1 , 2, 4 as bass drum, snare, snare) into Guitar Pro or other software to hear the groove, then add the vocal melody line to hear how all three work together.

Start with the main two measure groove of several songs, then later look at the variations which occur in later measures.