jamerson or kaye,who influenced your playing more?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kindablue, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    i just got done listening to pet sounds,on which i was told she did all the bass parts(please inform me if that is incorrect)and i must say she
    plays some excellent bass lines.i looked on her web site,and found that she has played on so many great songs.i did find something that i hope someone can clear up for me.on jamerson's site it claims "bernadette" and "i was made to love her" was done by him,and on carol's site it claims those same songs were done by her.so which is correct?thank you
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Re Jamerson vs Kaye on this site, do a search. It's been discussed ad infinitum. Look in "Bassists".

AFAIK Kaye did do all the bass parts on Pet Sounds, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. My understanding, though, is that Brian Wilson pretty much wrote those parts. Which of course doesn't detract from the playing.

Jamerson influenced me personally much more.
  3. Having got the SITSOM book and playing and analysing the lines, I'd say Jamerson is a bigger influence on me, just about my favourite bass player too.

Pet Sounds is an amazing album and one of the best of all time IMO, but the bass parts were written by Brian Wilson, although that doesn't detract from Kaye's ability. One of the first bass books I got was this knackered old book by Kaye, 'How to play bass,' and it did help me get started on bass, but I'd have to say Jamerson is a bigger influence on me.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tough call. This is a close one.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. But I think it's really gotta go to CK...

I mean, her bass lines on Bernadette and I Was Made To Love Her were killer...
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    let's go off to bassists.....

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  7. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    you don't seriously believe that carol kaye played bass on Bernadette and I Was Made To Love Her...

do you??? :meh:
  8. Jamerson, all the way. He was and still is my main inspiration on bass.
  9. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    did she or didn't she?both of their web sites claim these songs as their own:rolleyes: c'mon, who did the bass parts on these songs?
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    SEARCH and you will find.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wheeeeeee! here we go again:D
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If youd like to know who had the greater influance on peoples playing then please feel free to post a thread asking that.

This thread seems to ask more about the controversial issue of an already in depth discussion. Please refer to the mega thread pertaining to the controversy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.