Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamerson South Carolina Tribute

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassLand, Sep 8, 2003.

1. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Motown Bassist, James Jamerson Featured in Jazz Initiative Events at Avery
    The Charleston Jazz Initiative of Avery presents “Return to the Source: Remembering Legendary Bassist, James Jamerson.” On September 18 and 19, 2003, the Avery Research Center will present two programs of their recently established jazz initiative that will celebrate the music and career of the late jazz, rhythm and blues, and Motown bassist, James Jamerson. This two-day event will document Jamerson’s career via his Edisto Island/Charleston roots. Though Mr. Jamerson’s career has been commemorated by those in the music industry and from fans around the world, most notably in Europe, there has been no observance of his extraordinary musical life in his native Charleston.

On Thursday, September 18 at 8:00 p.m. at Avery, “Conversations in Jazz: James Jamerson” will be moderated by Jack McCray of the Post and Courier and will feature Jamerson musician-historian, Bob Lee and family members including widow, Ann Jamerson; archival donation and exhibit displays of Avery’s James Jamerson Collection; music by Jamerson relatives, the McKnight Brothers and the combined choirs of Jamerson’s home church, First Baptist Church of Edisto Island; and a book signing of “Standing In The Shadows of Motown:  The Life And Music of Legendary Bassist, James Jamerson” by Allan Slutsky. 

On Friday, September 19 from 6:00-9:30 p.m. (7:00 film screening) at the Sottile Theater at the College of Charleston, Avery and Artisan Entertainment will present the Charleston Premiere of the Grammy-award winning feature-documentary, “Standing In The Shadows of Motown.” The film documents the careers of the house musicians behind hundreds of Motown’s hits, The Funk Brothers including Jamerson. The evening will feature a reception with heavy hors d’oeuvres; live music by Jamerson cousin and President, South Carolina Chapter, Motown Alumni Association, Anthony McKnight, bassist, Bob Lee and The Black Velvets; Jamerson family members; and special guests from the Detroit and Los Angeles music and film industries.

I will be at both events and will also be playing with The Black Velvets doing some of the songs that Jamerson played bass on at Motown. This should be a reall nice event. I look forward to meeting any South Carolina Talk Bass members. There may be a clinic but I havent got confirmation on that yes. I will post with updates. For more information you can also call the Avery Center

Marketing/Administrative Assistant
    Avery Research Center
    (843) 953-7510 or (843) 953-7609
    colesj@cofc.edu

BassLand

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    awesome... ican't make it to the 18th because i have a gig that day. but i am free on friday... so maybe i'll get to ride down to Ctown friday afternoon... that would be an amazing time i'm sure

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    shoot...i'm originally from right down the road from the in SC...too bad i'm stationed in WA state. that would've been really cool to go to. i bet james brown will show up :D

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    One of my Good friends used to work at a CVS in Augusta and James Brown came in there one day and bought $500 worth of stuff.. nothing in particular... just stuff... and he had a prescription filled...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sounds like a cool event. I wish it was closer or timed better for me.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm a confirmed Jamerson fan, I wish I could make it. I'm too far away. bummer.