Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JamersonTabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by steve2, Oct 5, 2002.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have the James Jamerson Book on Motown and my sight reading is awful. I have been unsuccessful in finding tabs on 2 songs. Darling Dear and What's Going On. These are 2 of my favorites. I can usually figure out the easiest ones but these are tuff. Thanks

Steve

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm ... so ... sorry ....

I can't bite my tongue on this one. I just can't!

SACRILEGE!

You want to learn Darling Dear on TABZ?!?!?

Okay Steve, you want to learn these tunes, and that's great, they're phenomenal tunes.

Here's what I recommend, because I don't think there are tabs for those songs, and if there are, I wouldn't go near them with a 1 million foot pole. Go to http://www.codamusic.com. Download the Finale Notepad 2002 for free. What you're going to have to do is enter the song, note for note, rest for rest, into Finale. It's an amazing program. This will take time, but just the simple act of entering these songs into the system is already going to help your sightreading. It's an EXTREMELY user friendly system. Also, the program will let you play the song at any tempo you want. It will allow you to play just one bar, slowly, so you can get the rhythm down.

This will take hard work, and time, but it will be INFINITELY worth it, because you'll find, that if you learn just these two songs by sight reading, (with aides), you'll be much better off at reading in the future.

Good luck.

3. * sigh *

Ok.. ok.. for just this ONCE i will pretend not to have seen that.. since you are offering help..

:rolleyes:

4. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
  5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, those are some weird, bastard, tab/notation anomolies right there. It's kind of interesting. I wonder what program he used to write them.

6. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    He uses a program called TABLEDIT there is a place there to download it. I tried to learn the Whats Going On by ear without any success. I have listened to the CD from the Standing in the Shadows so much that I pretty much no the song real well. I just could not play it. I printed the tab and played it note for note and I noticed that I learned some of the licks that I could not get but after about 30 minutes I started back playing parts by ear and learned a bunch of the song so I basically used the tab just as a reference then I tried to rely on my own ear for the rest but I believe I will get it in time. I am awful when it comes to tabs. The first thing I did was were it shows the note on the 7th fret I droped a string and played it on the 2nd fret. What I have read about Jamerson is that he played most of his songs in the first position. But the move from the 7th fret to the 2nd fret is much easier for me. Maybe some Jamerson expert can check out the tab and see what they think.

Steve