1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

James and the Giant Peach–by EAR

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Mar 4, 2017.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    A friend of mine talked me into playing in the orchestra pit for a local production of James and the Giant Peach. I figured, why not. It's a lot lower commitment than being on stage. And then I heard the music.

It's like the composers were getting paid by the note. Every track on the broadway recording screamed "I went to Berkeley!"

To make matters worse, I had to learn it all by ear. I'm not sure why, but all we have is the piano score. Nothing for guitar, bass, drums or any other instruments that might be in the ensemble. (I don't read, but at least I could have had someone tab out the harder bits for me.)

I'm not even prefixing this as a request, because I know nobody has James tabs just lying around. I've just resolved that it's going to have to be OK that what I deliver isn't going to be quite the same as, nor quite as busy as, what the broadway guy did.

2. Thespis

Thespis

Feb 2, 2016
    Pretty sure I know why. Piano scores are easily found online or through a perusal request to the publisher. Sounds like somebody is producing the show without paying rental for orchestrations. That's also an indication that they might not have paid performance royalties either.
    It's possible that it's just an error on the part of the producer and publisher, but I've seen this before and it's always been somebody trying to game the system.

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I don't believe anything nefarious is going on. This is a longstanding, reputable group. And I personally know some of the principals. These are the kind of people who wouldn't download an MP3 without paying for it. The kind of people who vehemently believe artists should be paid.

Thespis likes this.