Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Basses - 5-String Fretless Photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, Mar 13, 2006.

1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Greg Lambas at James Basses has just sent three photos of this completed 5-String Fretless that's been in the works for the last few months. He'll be shipping it out from his shop in Idaho in the next several days by ground, so I'll have it in a couple of weeks.
    Greg's philosophy on instrument building is "pure and simple", and this bass is a great illustration of that concept.

The specs:

Five string "Eden" model fretless bass
    Side lines and dots
    Zebra/Wenge/Zebra neck-thru
    Ebony fingerboard
    Solid Zebra Body Wings
    Aero dual-coil pickup, passive
    Volume-Passive Treble rolloff-Coil knob(off,dual,single)
    34" scale

Greg's been great to work with in the design and creation of this instrument, and his prices are very reasonable for this kind of workmanship. Highly recommended!

I'll have the instrument in a couple of weeks, and plan to follow up with a review.

2. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Sweet and simple.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Goregous. I was following this in Luthiers Corner I believe.

If this is the one I'm thinking of, did you manage to fix that problem with the buzzing or something?

-Mark

EDIT: Looks like it wasen't the same bass. But, Still beautiful!

4. Hey KayCee!
    So you made the jump to a James Bass, eh?:eyebrow:

How's the Warrior been to you?

That is really a beautiful bass. It first glance it looks like black korina, but the zebra thing is there! I'm sure it's going to have a very unique sound since it's solid zebra. Give us a report when you get it.:)

5. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Hey Basso!

Oh yeah, I still have the Warrior Isabella, which is a wonderful axe!

I had a couple of Linc Luthier zebra fretless basses a while back, and really loved the growl. Also, I played a Pedulla Thunderbass in zebra that was fantastic, so I'm really pumped on this wood combo for a fretless.

Okay, what's with the eyebrow :eyebrow:? ,,,and don't think I haven't been lurking on that Roscoe thread...Isn't that your fourth new bass since I met you a year-and-a-half ago??? ;)
    You've got quite a collection! :bassist:

Andy

6. No, only my third. I still have my all-maple Roscoe. That's a sweet piece. I sold the Marchlewski -- not because it wasn't a killer bass, just not my sound. Then I have one in the works.

So, I'm not as fickle as you portray sir!:eyebrow:

;)

7. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    ..taken from Greg's web site. Still waiting on the bass..

8. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    beautiful bass, I like it. :cool:

9. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I've thrown together a little walkin' blues clip to share the tone of this bass with TalkBassers who might be interested.

I'm really enjoying this instrument so far. It has a wonderful feel and response. Very nice balance.

This bass has no preamp, and was plugged directly into the computer with just a touch of reverb added to make me feel good.
    The passive treble knob is rolled off about halfway. It is in dual coil mode.

I started the sound clip with each open string for reference.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I really like the tone of the bass(nice growl)and your Playing was very nice and articulate.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Wow, that thing really does sound great.

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Looks pretty sweet, and sounds great too! Nice playing by the way.

13. Andy,
    Your bass sounds great. Very clear and articulate. Jaco would be proud! ;)

Very nice playing man! Just like I remember from when you were here in Dallas.

14. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks for the nice comments.

Obviously, the clip is just some messing around, but I wanted to share the tone of the bass.

Zebra wood often attracts discussion for it's appearance, but it's really a great tone wood. The bass also has a thick ebony fingerboard, which has to affect the tone in a big way...the lows are milk chocolate!

These are dense, heavy woods, so it helps that the body is relatively small.

The bass arrived set up as I requested. There is virually no relief in the neck, a straight fingerboard. This helps to keep the growl more uniform over the whole range.

The nut is set down very low. On a fretless, there's no need to clear frets, so it can go almost to the board if you want.

The bridge and neck plane are set so that if you lower the saddles all the way down, the strings will actually touch the fingerboard.

The strings are Sunbeams, though I'll probably change over to my trusty D'Addario's.

The rest of the tone in the hands, which is why no two people sound the same on the same bass. ;)