1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD James Basses- short scale custom 6 string bass for sale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funk_in4, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funk_in4

funk_in4 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Comox, British Columbia, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario strings
    I am selling a bass as a favour for a friend who has had to cease performing...it is a superb instrument that is unique and very cool. Made by a custom builder, James Basses, it is a short scale 6 string bass, tuned EADGCF. Here are the basic specs for the bass, along with their ORIGINAL cost:
    original retail.....................1600.00
    with the following options
    (all prices as per original order):

81 mm bridge string ctr-ctr E to F
    nut 52 mm wide w/8.5 mm spacing string->string
    weight 9 lb 13 oz
    30" scale, 24 fret, 14" radius

upgrade Bartolini humbucking pickups
    in Jazz territory.............75.00
    upgraded Bartolini NTBT9-18 preamp...100.00
    body- bubinga over walnut............125.00
    neck- wenge/bubinga/wenge laminate....50.00
    fingerboard- pau ferro................30.00
    Hipshot A-type bridge
    Hipshot Ultra-lite tuners.............50.00
    String through option.................60.00
    custom body shape....................100.00
    gloss oil finish

bass original price.................2190.00

Optional ATA flight case.............475.00

currently tuned EADGCF w/SIT flatwound strings

15 sets of SIT EADGCF round wound
    strings included, @25.00 ea..........375.00

total for original custom order.....3040.00

Here are some pics:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102533...key=Gv1sRgCKaWoZ_-sJ73zgE#5683598767280454370
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102533...key=Gv1sRgCKaWoZ_-sJ73zgE#5683598701836935074
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102533...key=Gv1sRgCKaWoZ_-sJ73zgE#5683598717480556290
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102533...key=Gv1sRgCKaWoZ_-sJ73zgE#5683598759746368370
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102533...key=Gv1sRgCKaWoZ_-sJ73zgE#5683598664477003154
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102533...key=Gv1sRgCKaWoZ_-sJ73zgE#5683598653379823906

The bass is in excellent condition. The only change of significance on it is that the owner had to wear it somewhat differently and installed two new strap buttons in odd locations...the bass was played almost like a pseudo-upright. It was used as a controller for a VB-99 set up for a long time, and rarely left the house. The strap locks will be included with the bass.

Asking [DEL]$2,000.00[/DEL] [DEL]$1800.00[/DEL] $1500.00 OBO for everything listed above, with the buyer responsible for shipping charges. This a marvelous bass- it is of extremely high quality, easy to play and transport, and very expressive. The case has been modified a bit inside to accommodate the smaller bass, but is in wonderful shape considering what it does...feel free to message if you need any further elaboration.

Attached Files:

2. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    there are more pics on that Picassa album if you have time to check it out...thanks!

3. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    I got the word- he would really like this to find a new home...so...
    $1800.00 buyer pays shipping. Hit me up, folks- it is a very toneful and cool ax.

4. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't know if anyone has even read this ad...this is my last post re: the James bass- the price has dropped for the last time- the bass will just stay at home if it is of no interest. Asking 1500.00, 15 sets of strings, ATA flight case included. Killer deal IMHO...please message if interested. A couple of days and over and out for this one.

5. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Bump for you -- never had any inclination to try out a bass like this 'til now. Looks sweet, too. Good luck!

6. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    I appreciate the voice in the wilderness lol

7. Kevin W Guin

Kevin W Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    Bump for an axe with really nice lines. These James bass designs really grow on you.

I bet jzucker would dig this one...

Cheers.

8. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    would he?

9. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    So this instrument could be tuned and played like a baritone guitar, with relative ease of fingering chords and strumming with a pick - or is there any reason that is a bad idea with flats? Pardon me for not having a ruler (or strong enough imagination) available, but would you characterize the string spacing as very tight, nearly classical range or closer to a standard bass spacing?
    Does anyone know if there are rounds available in this range or is this strictly a custom order size?
    Thanks!

10. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If I read the original post correctly, the bass is currently strung with flats, but the several spare sets included with it are rounds.

11. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    Actually, there are fifteen (yeah, 15) sets of strings included in the sale, with an E thru F tuning, the F string being a plain. With a 30" scale length, this would be considered either a short scale bass or a very long scale baritone. Spacing, ctr to ctr, is 8.5 mm at the nut, 16 mm at the bridge.

12. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    got that - guess I should have phrased the question: are there commercially available rounds available for this scale in this size range? if not, how crazy is the markup for custom ordered sizes. I didn't get past restringing only my E for comparison sake with Chromes recently before deciding that flats are definitely not for me. maybe SIT would do a partial swap... ;)

13. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA

I've actually been looking at this since you first posted it. I should have put in a reply earlier. Very interesting instrument that might work well in a bass, drums, sax, trio type setting. 16mm spacing is perfect for me, just not sure about the 30" scale and I'm not familiar with James Basses.

I say try to be patient, this looks like an amazing bass at a really good price. However it is a niche instrument so it may take a little while to sell. And though $1500 is a great deal for this it is still a lot of money. Particularly if you are not familiar with the instrument and have no way to try one out without laying out the cash.

One suggestion I will make is if you have any way to post a short clip on youtube of this bass in action and link it here that will be very helpful.

14. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    Although...I am not into posting clips on youtube as I have no camera that is suitable for that (or an iPhone or iPod with a cam LOL). I have had a request for audio, though, and I will post a clip of that on my myspace page very soon. As far as string availability is concerned, short scale strings fit the bass for the E-G, and commercially available bass C strings are small enough in diameter that a long or medium scale will fit fine without causing an issue on the tuner post...and for the high string, guitar strings fit length-wise if you wish, but the ball end has to be "bulked up" enough to not flow through the grommet or bridge slot- I have used small washers successfully with this part ( the type used as back stops for pop-rivets, for sale at many hardware stores), so string selection should not be an issue at all.
    Okay- now to try and capture the sounds...
    :)

15. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    Okay- here is a quicky that I knocked out tonight. I could have used the bass in any number of styles but I chose a pseudo-jazz backdrop in order to try and display some of the tones available from the bass. A few turns from "Scrapple from the Apple", then a long and meandering open play that I switched pickups and tones in throughout. Sorry for the hiss- it's not really in the bass, but rather how I get the signal into the computer. Absolutely no processing btw- it went straight to track. Anyway, this should acquaint you with the sounds of this James six string bass.
    I did a restring with a medium scale set of D'Addario XL nickel bass strings (045- 100) today, adding .036 and .026 D'Addario nickel XLs from a guitar set. Moderately low action. I would apologize for my performance, but I is what I is.
    Enjoy!
    James bass demo.mp3 by Bruce Jacobs | Song | Free Music, Listen Now

16. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    thank you for the PMs, everyone...the bass is on hold for the next while as the logistics are worked out for a sale. I'll keep your messages on file on case something untoward happens, but I consider the bass pretty much a lock to go now.
    happy holidays!

17. funk_in4

Sep 27, 2007
    SOLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.