James/Braun: Shake It Up

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

After several months of seeing the album "Shake It Up," which features a compelling collaboration of Boney James on sax and Rick Braun on trumpet, on the Billboard Contemporary jazz top ten list, I bought it.

I have to say the album really pleased me because it is just the kind of music I enjoy driving to. My only complaint is that several tracks feature keyboard bass which I generally think of as a cop out in this style of music. Heck, they used Nathan East on one track. He could have easily handled the duties on those keyboard bass tracks. Two other bassists, Larry Kimpel and Alex Al also appear on some tracks.

My personal favorite is a reprise of the mid-sixties song "Grazin' In the Grass" which appears two times on the album, once as an instrumental take and the other with vocals. Larry Kimpel plays bass on those tracks. I am not familair with him and don't know what other work he has done.

One song, in particular, "Love's Like That" has the Fourplay gang, Bob James on keys, Nathan East on bass, Larry Carlton on guitar and Harvey Mason on drums. If you are a Fourplay fan, as I am, you will enjoy this song.

If you like "contemporary jazz" I think you might consider giving this album a shot because it did live up to the expectations I had for it. Boney James and Rick Braun, both well established names on their own work very well together and I look forward to future collaborations from them.

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...hmmmm, the silence in here is deafening! :D

Well, I respond with this, Jason-
    Braun/James are not my cup of tea(in YOUR post, you hit on some of the reasons why, too).
    If interested in some other contemporary Jazz suitable for driving...check out Dave Weckl's newest, Transistion or his previuos, Synergy. Both have bassist Tommy Kennedy; any chance I get to promote Kennedy, I'm gonna do it! ;)
    Anyway, the music isn't so "heavy" you can't drive; the music is a little more than you'll expect outta the typical C-Jazz schmaltz, though.
    ...all in my opinion, of course. ;)
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

No sweat. I fully expected to get razzed for enjoying "contemporary jazz." Al DeMeola would roast me well done. I put my opinion up anyway just in case some lurker who likes the genre too would be interested even if they didn't respond. It is a guilty pleasure for me to listen to the "lighter" jazz groups. Sigh.

I admire Dave Weckl as a drummer. He used to play for Chic Corea with John Patitucci. I don't know Kennedy's work, though. Thanks for your suggestion and attempt to upgrade my taste.

Wasn't it you who reccommended "Kind of Blue" to me? I listen to that every day. I can't seem to get enough of it and every time I hear it, I hear something more. It really is an extraordinary album.

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I first stumbled onto Tom Kennedy when I bought a Billy Connors' Assembler cd(who was the first guitarist in Corea's Return To Forever unit...DiMieola replaced Connors!). ;)
    Weckl & Kennedy go way back; they grew up together in the same neighborhood or somethin'.
    Anyhoo, Connors' stuff at this time was a little in the Alan Holdsworth style...I think Kennedy was also the first guy I ever saw/heard that played a Fodera bass(this was in the mid-to-late '80s).
    Kennedy also plays URB...his solo album, Basses Loaded is nice.