James Brown -- Drums!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by c-ba55, May 29, 2001.

1. I (like many of you, I'd guess) have that James Brown Funkmasters rhythm section book to practice from. I've been playing the bass parts, and that has of course been extremely helpful. This weekend, I finally got around to programming the drum parts. The book came with CDs, I have actual James Brown CDs, etc.... This is not about hearing what the songs are supposed to sound like.
    But lacking the physical capability to play drums (having never practiced enough to get any limb-independence going, let alone a sufficient amount to play the baddest-ass shiznit of all time), just the simple act of basically paying enough attention to the drums to type the patterns into a sequencer (I used Fruity Loops) was amazingly educational.

As a bonus, I have all these wav files I can loop in Acid to practice with as I see fit, but just spending a half-day thinking hard about drums led to the real payoff. Particularly doing 20 songs in a row to see the similarities.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No argument from me.
    Truth-be-told: I "steal" some of those drumbeats(like the kick "patterns")& make my own line/2-bar vamp from them; kinda like, Clyde Stubblefield supplies the rhythm, I supply the notes.
  3. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    I think it would be cool if you could make either the wavs or acid files availble for others...sounds like a really cool way to practice. I too love those great beats...I have had an alesis sr-16 drum machine for a long time, but I can never seem to get it to sound like anything I would wanna practice along to. It has become the most expensive metronome I could possibly buy!
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I got the opportunity back in April to watch James and band from side stage. Man, those guys have to be seen in action to be believed! Clyde wasn't there, but the two guys that were just killed in terms of having 2 drummers that worked together with the 2 bassists as a unit for the groove.. Honestly, James was the slacker on the stage (or maybe his very pregnant wife trying to sing Janis Joplin).
  5. I thought about posting the mp3s, which would be very very easy to download since most loops are like 3 seconds long. I feel like I should redo a lot of them before passing them onto the public. I have some demo copy of Fruity Loops, which doesn't actually let you save a Fruity Loops file, just export as wav. So I can't just go back in and say make the snare a little louder, use a different ride cymbal, etc... I have to start over. Hopefully, within the next few weeks, I'll get it together.
  6. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Hi c-ba55, Do you have the bass drum, snare and hi-hat Sequence patterns available? If you could jot them down on here or email them to me, it would be great! I saw JB last year and was impressed by just how tight the band were, JB wasn't on stage that much, but that was OK, the MC would introduce the guitarist and the band would hit a fast, tight groove for about 3 seconds while the guitarist played a lick - and then all would stop on a tight fill, this was repeated with a different "song" for every band member throughout the show - phenomenal show as well! Anyone who's not convinced by JB - get "The Payback" - it rocks.