Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Brown's Band has Two Bassists!?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 3, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Man....

Not only is James Brown one of the best performers, but most liveliest cats in the industry! Still!

My Girl, her Parents and I went to James Brown (Francine Reed opened up for him, she kicked arse!) at Chastain Amphitheater here in NW ATL last Sunday and my Girl and I couldn't help to notice that there were TWO (2) Bassists on stage with him.

Granted there were 3 back up singers, 4 piece horn section, 4 guitarists, a B3 player, 2 'Soul-dries (James' Personal Dancers), 2 Drummers, 4 MC's and a Percussionist... What a group!

They were tight, every move and every motion The Godfather made triggered a new tune, sometimes in the middle of a tune....

The Funny thing is that the Bass didn't sound crowded at all... I mean with the B3 and the 2 bassists every one was well placed. Sometimes the bassists were playing different hits of the same bass line... like one cat finishing the other cat's sentence.

Has anyone caught his tour this season and noticed the same thing?

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Saw the same show last year sometime in my home town. It was an amazing show, although just a little bit cabaret I you know what I mean. JB was all teeth and hair :D

Amazing players/performers though. The horn section was great.

My only criticism would be JB's turquoise suit with golden lapels put me of my lunch...

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He had 3 drummers. Starks, Martin, and Stubblefield.

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    woodchuck,

You were there last Sunday (Chastain)? Cool! I thought that Clyde Stubblefield was retired. He only had two drummers and Percussionist with him, from what I saw.... They also appeared to be relatively younger fellas, might be a little younger than Stubblefield is.

Fill me in on this a little more, I'm also curious about the bassists.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Not sure if he's touring with the same players but when I saw him two years ago, he basically had two seperate bands backing him - the younger, whiter band were called the "Soul Generals" or something like that. Whoever they were, they rocked the house and that show was the best live show that I've ever been to....

DD

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I saw him last year. Two bass players, but I think only one at a time was playing. I don't think they both played at the same time, but I wasn't watching them the whole time.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I think that the group was called the "Soul Generals"... Definitely whiter, but there was a hip Sax player that really stole the show when he soloed...

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    What's he using MCs for?:confused:

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    It was the funniest/corniest thing... They were all saying stuff like "ain't he the man!", "watch him go" and other narrative BS like that... Really added the Jar Jar Binx to a great show... I tried not to think of them... just the Godfather and the band!